Thursday, November 7, 2013

Here I Am

I started running in 2007. I also quit smoking in 2007. It was a big year for me. I have gone so far as to run a marathon in 2010 (my first and only) and a handful of half marathons in between.

Since I first started running I fell in love, got married and recently gave birth to twin boys. Maybe not so recently, they'll be one in December.

It's been hard for me to get back on the fitness track. I know I have read somewhere how "you don't know what tired is until you have kids" and for me it's true. By the time I get home from work the idea of doing anything more physical than put on my comfy pants makes me want to cry. In the evenings, I just want to spend time with my babies and eat carbs.

I solved this problem by running in the mornings. I don't have to get up THAT early, I wake up at 6:00am three days a week and run for a little over two miles each day. I haven't been doing this very long, just over two weeks. This morning when my alarm went off I didn't want to get up.

And then I realized I need to make myself accountable. And give myself a goal.

My goal for the rest of this year and into 2014 is to run a race, usually a 5K, but whatever I want, a month. One race a month. And next year I want to run TWO half marathons. I want to run one in the late spring or early summer and one in the fall. The one in the fall is a woman's only half marathon, the same one I ran this fall. Well, I didn't really run it, I ran and then petered out and pretty much walked the last three miles.

I am going to do this. And I am going to have fun.

And so far this month I have already ran my race! This past Saturday I ran a 5K to support the Girls on the Run foundation here in Michigan. It was the Superhero 5K.

It took me almost 45 minutes to run the thing but I was pushing a jogging stroller with two babies and I had to stop at one point and take on of my guys out of the stroller and walk while carrying him because he was yelling his head off.

Note to self, the boys are not a fan of the 5K.

So this is it. My running/workout/raising kids/raising hell/having fun kind of blog.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the Smoking! I too have quite next month will be a year :). I wish I could get up and Run I just can never make myself. I really need to though. It is nice to meet you and I'm going to enjoy following your journey!

    ReplyDelete