Thursday, November 14, 2013

This Sucks

Today's run was brutal. I didn't want to get out of bed. I didn't want to run. Usually I get into a zone after the first mile. Today I was fighting to keep moving all the way through the almost three mile run. Three or four times, usually when I came to an intersection, I had to battle myself and force myself to turn AWAY from home instead of run back towards it.

Was it a good run? No.

Did I go out and run even though my mind and body really, really, REALLY didn't want to? Yes.

I consider it a win.

Part of my problem, I'm sure, was I didn't properly hydrate yesterday. Somehow I got distracted and didn't drink my usual servings of water during work. And by the time I got home it was baby time and then bed time and nowhere in there did I drink enough water.

My legs were a little crampy during my run and I'm sure that was part of it.

Meg, today you are going to drink your water!

And tomorrow I have no run or workout scheduled so I can sleep in an extra forty-five minutes which will be glorious.

I read this somewhere and I wish I knew who said it, because I would love to credit that person. He or she said, "Who is the better runner? The one who runs effortlessly without much training? Or the one who struggles through every workout but still manages to get out there and run?"

I think about that when I'm one of the last people on a course be it a marathon, a half marathon or a 5K. Sure, people are finishing much, much faster than me. But I am here and I am running and at some point I am going to finish, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment