Friday, November 8, 2013

Turkey Trot

Do you have a race in your city on Thanksgiving day? There's one Detroit sponsored by the Parade Company that runs the route of the Detroit Thanksgiving Day Parade. This was the first race I ran, six years ago, and I've never been back.

This year one of my friends, a self-described "slow and old runner", is going to do the Turkey Trot 10K on Thanksgiving morning. And I am registering today so I can run it with her.

This race is one of the largest races in Michigan. They get quite the turnout, something like 20,000 runners. I'm not looking forward to the mess of parking and getting down there but I'll figure something out. I might be able to meet my friend somewhere on the way so we can all carpool together.

Husband's got the boys that morning and I think if the timing is right I should be home with plenty of time to shower and play with the guys until we have to head to his aunt's house for dinner.

I figure if you run a 10K on Thanksgiving that entitles you to an extra slice of pie. Amiright?

Because I'm doing the Turkey Trot this month I'm going to count the Superhero 5K, which happened right at the beginning of this month, as an October race. So my goal of a race a month started in October. That means I've got to run a race a month all the way through October 2014. I can do this!


3 comments:

  1. Here in Chattanooga, TN we have a Turkey Trot 8k (about 5 miles). I did it last year and it was great fun. I would have signed up again this year, but we will be spending the morning with family instead of the afternoon. Have fun with the race and I do believe a 10K on Thanksgiving morning entitles you to extra pie (and turkey and dressing and sweet potatoe casseroel..)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ran the Turkey Trot last year and it was such an unbelievable clusterf*ck. Hopefully they reworked some of it, but just in case, go there with the intent to run for fun. At least the medal and shirt are always cool and I definitely suggest sticking around for the parade if possible, it is pretty darn cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I have heard it's a pain in the ass but I'm running it with a friend for fun nothing more. Mostly for an excuse to eat that extra helping of stuffing lol

    ReplyDelete