Friday, December 20, 2013

Change of Pace

I don't want this blog to be about things other than working out and running and such, but sometimes I just have to get stuff off my chest.

I don't watch Duck Dynasty. It's not something that appeals to me, at all. In fact, the closest thing to a reality show I watch is Top Chef. And even then, I fast forward the drama and just watch the contestants present their food to the judges and the judges' reactions. I don't dig on reality t.v.

So when I heard about this guy on Duck Dynasty getting quoted in GQ I just knew this was going to make my Facebook feed blow up. And sure enough it did.

I 100% support freedom of speech. In fact, one of my favorite movie quotes comes from The American President:
"It's gonna say "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours."

This isn't a freedom of speech issue. He wasn't arrested for what he said. A&E chose to suspend him because something he said didn't go along with their own ideals. It's no different than Isaiah Washington getting fired from Grey's Anatomy for gay slurs or the blow back on Michael Richards for his racist rants.

This guy from Duck Dynasty isn't just some regular guy on the street. HE IS PAID TO DO WHAT HE DOES. HE IS PAID TO BE ON TELEVISION. And when the people who PAY HIM decide they don't like what he says THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO SUSPEND HIM. Because THEY PAY HIM.

1 comment:

  1. I agree 100%! I have the freedom of speech, but because of my job and position, I have to be smart enough to keep my mouth shut when it comes to issues others might disagree with. While I'm not the top paid person, I am still a "face" to our employer. And I am NO celebrity and I certainly don't get paid millions, yet I know I need to not say things that might cause my employer to look bad!

    ReplyDelete