Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Eleventy Billion

It is 11 degrees out today. And in honor of that low temperature I am going to share eleven random facts about me and my running. Or maybe not just my running since I'm not sure I can come up with 11 running things. We'll see.

11 Interesting Excercisey Things About Me Because It's So Cold Outside My Brain Froze

1. I ran a full marathon in 2010. I walk/ran the first 17 miles with an excellent friend who had only registered for the half but stayed with me all that time keeping me company and distracted. We parted ways after 17 miles and I fell apart. I finished mere minutes ahead of the Last Chance Bus.

2. Hubs and I, before we were married, ran a 10 Miler in mid-Michigan, the CRIM. I ran a half-marathon a few months later. I am telling you that 10 Mile run was a million times harder than the half. It was a hilly course. And it was August so it was WARM! We ran a 10K the year before but other than that, we have not run any other races together. He plays hockey to keep in shape.

3. I ran a 5K while three months pregnant. I wasn't very fast and I did some walking but it was fun and I like to tell the boys it was their first race.

4. I trained for my marathon on the treadmill. I also ran outside but I was doing the majority of my training in the summer. It happened to be a particularly warm summer. I remember putting movies on the DVD player and just running while the movies played.

5. I've always been happier with distance over sprinting. I was a swimmer in high school and swam the distance events. Funny thing, as a freshman they pretty much throw all of the non-swimmers into the sprint events because they're easier. I got in trouble while en route to a relay meet (basically a For Fun event) and got stuck swimming a distance relay. I did really, really well so my coach put me in distance events. Slow and steady, that's me!

6. I've never displayed my race medals until now. I had them in a box in my bedroom. Then I reorganized my basement and found a cool spot for them. I'll post a picture later.

7. My running shoes are Saucony Omni 12 size 8.5. The second most expensive pair of shoes I own. (Most expensive: a pair of Manolo Blahniks I got from all of my girlfriends for my 30th birthday)

8. I have yet to really run in the snow. Oh sure, I ran in a blizzard on Thanksgiving Day, but it wasn't really sticking. Right now there's snow on the ground and I have a hard time motivating myself to get out there in the cold.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

9. I signed my best friend and I up for a 5K in March. It starts at 10:30 so you know we'll all be ok with getting down there on time. I love a late start race!

10. I am planning on signing up for a three part race series that is centered around booze. First one is in May and that's a brewery run. Second one is in late summer, that one's focused on wine. And the last one is in the fall...hard cider yum!

11. My goal to run a 5K every month starting in October is already starting to fall apart. There are two races I can choose from but I have a work Christmas party that's out of town and running a race isn't going to happen. Looks like I'll have to make up my own 5K!


1 comment:

  1. Holy crap. Training for a marathon on a treadmill? That's badass!

    Looking forward to following you! (which by the way, I can't find a follow button on your blog....)

    ReplyDelete