Monday, December 2, 2013

Fifth Third Turkey Trot 2013 Race Recap

I had very little expectations for this race. I haven't been running much further than three miles during my training runs so my goal was simple...I wanted to finish.

I finished! Woo-hoo.

But, let's go back a little bit.

Packet pick-up was pretty cool. Up until November 23rd you could pick your packet up at a couple of places outside Downtown Detroit. I missed out on that and had to pick mine up at Cobo Hall. There were a handful of vendors there, which was nice. I didn't really need anything, but some people were taking advantage of the end of the season bargains.

Pick-up was a breeze. I was in and out in a few minutes. I spent Wednesday with Hubs and my guys  and went to bed early.

My friends picked me up at my house at 6:30 AM which came way earlier than I wanted it to. It was about twenty degrees out at this point. We found parking relatively close and headed over to Cobo. Unlike the day before, this time it was packed with runners. Just as we got out of the car it started to snow, just a light dusting.

Now here comes the real downfall. The race doesn't start right at Cobo but since we had a half hour before the gun was going off my friend and her friend joined the LOOONG line for the ladies room. And thirty-seven minutes later they finally got to pee. Now if you're paying attention here you will see that thirty-seven minutes puts us seven minutes after the gun. We headed out, positive our slow corral wouldn't be heading anywhere. You see, my friend had run the Turkey Trot in 2009 and she said it took her twenty minutes to cross the starting line. HA! HA HA!

As we were walking to the starting line, which was about a quarter of a mile away from Cobo, I heard someone announce "All 10K participants must cross the Start Line by 7:45". We were about five minutes away.

So my friends and I booked it to the starting line. We crossed at 7:40 AM but already I could feel this race was not going my way. First, my one friend kept trying to get her head phones to sync with her iPhone and it wasn't happening. Meanwhile I am running next to her holding her water and thinking, "this is way too fast for me" but running to keep up with her. Thankfully, she got her shit together (she had planned on doing all of this while standing around the start corral) and she went her way and I slowed down to my pace.

The first two miles were brutal.

Why?

Oh the weather outside is frightful!

But the fire is so delightful!


That, my friends, is snow. I don't know that the pictures do it justice because it was SNOWING. At first, it wasn't bad, but the snow kept coming and coming. Actually, I'm going to say I didn't mind the snow all that much. It was a million times better than rain. And it wasn't windy so I was actually warm enough to take my fleece off and tie it around my waist by about the first mile.

I did alright while I was running but during the walking bits I slipped around a lot. I was afraid I was going to fall so I'm sure my pace was slower than normal.

The first three miles took forever. We turned around at the 2.5 mile mark. It wasn't a complete out and back so I knew we would be covering new terrain at some point. I swear to you, I didn't think Mile Marker 3 would ever show up.

I was sucking wind. I was tired. My legs hurt. I felt like I was going super slow.

The disadvantage to starting at the absolute back of the pack, like behind the walkers back of the pack, is it is hard to tell how fast you are running. I mean, I had every intention to run my own race but still, it sucks to feel like there is no one behind you.

  
Oh hello, sweet Mile 5
 Eventually, I started to pass people. But, it took forever. I would pick a person ahead of me and aim for passing them every time I was in the running part of my walk/run. It felt good to pass people. And also frustrated the crap out of me because I knew had I started when I was supposed to then I would have been way past these people.

Now the second downfall to the race was this next bit. The 5K started an hour after the 10K and at some point the 5K loop and the 10K loop overlapped. So I ended up getting passed by speedy 5Kers. This year the race offered some kind of double medal. One could run the 10K and the 5K you just had to be fast enough to finish the 10K before the gun went off for the 5K start. So I was getting passed by people who had ALREADY ran a 10K and were finishing a 5K. Talk about disheartening.

It didn't help that it was crowded and the 5Kers were running like they were trying to PR. Hey, I get it, you want to run fast but when you are in the middle of the slow runners and walkers from the 10K try not to knock people out of the way. I was tempted to trip some people because, yep, thank you for bumping into me and then looking at me like it's my fault. I didn't realize this was an Olympic event and you're competing for gold.

The good news is because the 5Kers pissed me off so much I was distracted enough to forget about feeling like crap while I ran.

I finished. It seemed to take forever but was, in fact, pretty much my usual pace for a run. And I felt good! I collected my medal and headed into Cobo to meet up with friends. The ride home was a bit rough. There weren't any salt crews out yet so we passed a few accidents and saw a car spin out in front of us. Luckily, we all made it home safe and sound. And I didn't even feel the need to indulge in an extra slice of pie, even though I earned it.

We're going to run this again next year. And plan on being in the starting corral ON TIME. Also, we might dress up in a group themed costume because that looked like fun.

Official Results
Finish: 1:23:52
Overall: 6849 out of 7318
Age group: 524 out of 582















2 comments:

  1. WOW!! I am torn part of me thinks that it was crazy to run in that but the part of me that has run a few times in the snow is BEYOND jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job sticking it out. I distinctly remember what it felt like to slip and slide at the end of my Thanksgiving race. I didn't like it one bit. So of course, I immediately signed up for an outdoor race in December.

    (Wanted to stop by and check out your blog - thanks for reading my race report)

    ReplyDelete