Thursday, January 9, 2014

Cardio Trainer Review

I didn't want to go for a run last night. It seems that most of my time before a workout is spent convincing myself to ACTUALLY workout. One thing that really kept me going was I was genuinely excited to try out the Cardio Trainer App.

I got all decked out in my winter gear plus my new reflective vest and lights for the back of my shoes. I was comfortable with my visibility. I'm not used to running at night. Usually I run in the early hours of the morning or during the day. There was no one around in my neighborhood, not even cars, which I enjoyed.

All I did was start Pandora then hit Start Workout on the Cardio Trainer app and I headed out on my merry way. I did a lot of loops through my relatively small neighborhood because I didn't want to get that far away from the house in case I slipped on ice and broke an ankle. Gotta think ahead, right? Because I am so familiar with my 'hood and know what a map should look like from mapping all of my runs I could tell right off the bat that the satellite tracking was doing it's job which was awesome. I had it set up to announce the mileage every .5 miles but you can personalize it and set it up for whatever distance you'd like.

I ran 2.20 miles. It was a slow run because Pandora wasn't working so I spent a lot of time puttering with that. I also forgot my Galloway timer so I wasn't able to calculate my walk/run ratio very well. I did a lot more running than walking and was all messed up with that. And I had to stop a bunch. When I stopped after a few seconds the app would automatically pause which was awesome. The only downfall was during a few of the walking bits of my run the app didn't think I was moving so it automatically paused. I had to restart it on my own but it wasn't that big of a deal.

Again, I'm not super sure of my normal pacing, I haven't done a whole lot of tracking the tiny details, but from my times on Map My Run and in races it seemed like the app really got my timing down correctly.

 Overall, I really enjoyed the app. I'm looking forward to using it some more and getting used to the ins and outs of it. It's pretty easy to set up. I logged in my weight so it's telling me how many calories I burned (without a heart monitor so not sure how accurate it is) and that's always a plus. If you have a Droid I would recommend downloading this app! Especially if you are like me and not quite ready to shell out the big bucks for a Garmin.

I'm running again tonight, probably a pretty similar route, except this time I will remember my flipping Galloway Timer! Sheesh!  It's supposed to be in the double digits so game on winter running!

Snow Shower

1 comment:

  1. Great job getting out on your run! I'm glad the new app worked for you. :)

    ReplyDelete