Thursday, January 23, 2014

Gym Rat

I joined a gym.

OK, I kinda cheated the system a little bit. I got a 30 day free membership to a local 24 hour gym. It's a very bare bones kind of place. This works out really well for me because I just need a damn treadmill! I figure if I do the free membership that gets me into almost the end of February. By the end of February there's still snow on the ground but the deep freezes should (HOPEFULLY) be done. Good plan, right?

I read lots of reviews on local gyms and there's one that's in a trendy neighborhood that got the best worst reviews. Some people compared it to the local bar scene minus the booze. I know that's not for me!

The price for the YMCA was 55.00 per month for JUST ME! Is that crazy or what? I mean, I know they have the pool and classes and such but that's just nuts! (Sorry if you pay that much for your membership, if you can afford it good for you) I don't even spend that much for my cell phone! Plus, you're locked in for a year and I know I won't need the gym once it's nicer out. My current gym has a month to month plan. It's ten more dollars a month if you don't sign up for a year minimum but I'm OK with that. If in February it's still awful out I'll sign up for one more month. I can run in the rain. I can run early in the morning to avoid the heat. I can run in the wind. I can't run on ice or during a Polar Vortex.

As soon as my membership card arrives I am off to the gym. I'm excited about it. I haven't worked out since Sunday and I can really feel it affecting my body and mindset. I tend to be more sloth-like if I haven't moved much. And I make bad food choices.

1 comment:

  1. Great plan! I totally agree with you. There is a lot I can run in, but these cold and icey days are killing me.

    ReplyDelete