Monday, January 27, 2014

It's Never Too Warm For Hot Cocoa

I did some adjusting to my race schedule. I had planned on a half marathon at the end of April, the Glass City Marathon in Toledo.  Then I had a friend tell me she's doing her first half-marathon at the start of April, one much closer to us. She wanted to know if I wanted to sign-up with her. Now, she's a much faster runner than I am, but I know what it's like to hang out at the starting line by yourself and be nothing but a ball of nerves. And it sounds like a fun run so I said "yes".

We are signed up for The Cocoa Classic which is on April 6. Now I know all you southerners are thinking "Hot cocoa in April?". Heck yeah. We're from Michigan. It could be snowing that day!

I might sign up for the Glass City Half, as well. I've NEVER run two long races that close together. In fact, I have never run two long races in the same year. I don't know how I'll do with that. I think I'll see how my training goes and if I still feel good leading up to the first race then screw it, I'll sign up for the second.

I do have to adjust my training scheduled by a few weeks. I've been running longer short runs during the week on a consistent basis (except for last week DAMN YOU POLAR VORTEX) so I really just need to up the mileage on my long runs a little faster than planned. I think I can handle this.

Desiree at Finding the Skinny Geek Within posted a picture of a dry erase calendar thing that she's going to put up in her kitchen. She has her weekly meal plan listed there. I saw it and LOVE that idea so I will have to get one for us from Target. Hubs and I take turns meal planning, which is great. I usually write my meal list on the same sheet of paper as my grocery list and it inevitably gets lost in my purse and I have to struggle to remember what I had planned to make. This should solve that problem! Plus, we plan on adding the boys lunch stuff to it, too to make things easier for my mom when she watches them.

This week's meal plan:
Monday: Homemade Minestrone Soup
Tuesday: Unstuffed Green Peppers
Wednesday: Turkey Meatballs
Thursday: Potato Soup and Chicken Sausages
Friday: Whatever
Saturday: Roast Turkey Breast and Mashed Potatoes
Sunday: Super Bowl

Friday is Whatever because Hubs has hockey Friday night so he eats before I even get home from work. I am usually on my own for dinner. I'll have leftovers or a sandwich. Nothing too crazy. And Sunday is Super Bowl! I want to make a warm dip (Hubs has a football shaped crockpot that we only break out once a year so he really wants to use it). Any suggestions?

I use the slow cooker for most of my recipes. Only thing not made in the slow cooker this week was the soup. I made that last night (it's better the second day) (although I had to taste some last night to make sure it was good).

This week's running will look like this (that is, if my gym pass shows up):

Monday: 6 Miles 
(I should have run this yesterday) 
(I have not run on a treadmill in a long, long time so this may not be as long as I hope)
Tuesday: 3 Miles
Wednesday: 3 Miles
Thursday: Rest
Friday: 3 Miles
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: 5K Super Bowl Race

4 comments:

  1. Are you following a certain half training schedule?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am. I use Jeff Galloway's Beginner Half Marathon training schedule. I use the 1:1 walk/run combo.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Meg! I will look into that. I have never done more than a 5k, but would like to do some longer distances :)

      Delete
  2. Excellent plan! Yea, I love that dry erase board! Now there is no question what we are having on any given night!

    ReplyDelete