Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Oh What a Beautiful Morning

When my alarm went off at 5:50AM I was all "um, what is the awful noise and why won't it stop?". I made it stop and then realized I didn't set a snooze button up with that alarm (I know myself) so I hauled my ass out of bed and into the living room.

I don't like to turn on a lot of lights in the morning. It's not very nice to Hubs and sometimes I think the guys can see the light and it wakes them up a bit. The night before an early run I set up my clothes out in the living room so I can get dressed there.

I layered up, laced up, turned on the tunes and headed out the door.

And promptly bit it on a patch of ice at the end of our walkway.

Thank goodness the only thing bruised was my ego. I got the salt out and took care of the patch and realized my run was going to be more of a run with periods of ice skating. It wasn't that cold, but with the snow melt yesterday there were definitely some shady spots.

Training called for a 30 minute run (I'm using Jeff Galloway's Beginner Half-Marathon training plan) and I did a little more than that. I ended up getting in 2.5 miles. Again, there were some icy bits around the neighborhood so I was much more cautious than I normally am. I would rather have a slow run than break an ankle or hip.

There are a couple of running groups that I see on my morning runs. One seems to be made up of men or at least mostly men as far as I can tell and the other is made up of women. I am not into running with people. I like being solo and hanging out with my brain and focusing on me. I just think it's really cool that there are people who haul themselves out of bed at the ass crack of dawn pretty early to run and hang out with other runners.  We're a crazy breed, that's for sure!

3 comments:

  1. Nice job! I got to run outside on Sunday and definitely came across a surprise ice patch or two, but I was happy to be out there. Tonight was a blizzard, so I had to suck it up on the treadmill.

    I keep telling myself that maybe when it gets warmer out, and light out earlier, I'll start doing a morning run. But I'd have to be out the door by 5:00, and I can't say that sounds like much fun.

    Do you do the run/walk part of the Galloway method, or just the time schedule for the half marathon training? I'm working my way up to the Hal Higdon Novice 1 Half Marathon training plan...I find that I don't have a problem running the entire distance when I'm outside, but on a treadmill I can't bring myself to run straight through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz, I do the walk/run method. I used to just run and then one time I was doing a half marathon and there were two or three women ahead of me doing the Galloway method. I would pass them when they walked but they would always catch up at the running parts. And we all finished around the same time, except afterwards I was waaaay more tired than they were. Right now I just do 30:30 but I'm working my way up to 1:1.

    I would never, ever get up that early to run...except for on race day HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer on biting it on your run! Glad you didn't get hurt, though! That's a plus, for sure.

    On a side note: I need your email address! Every time you comment on my blog, I want to respond but it comes in as a no-reply comment (meaning your email isn't on file!). I'd love to be able to reply back. :)

    ReplyDelete