Thursday, March 20, 2014

Doctor, Doctor Give Me the News

I finally made an appointment for a physical. I don't have a General Practitioner and stopped seeing my OB/GYN because they're not very close to me, plus I am done having kids. I figured I needed to see SOMEONE, especially when it comes down to the odd illness and what not. I have not had a physical in years! (Please note, I have had annual lady exams, just not a normal physical)

My sons' pediatrician also specializes in Internal Medicine. Hubs goes to see him and I figured, why not, so I bit the bullet and set up an appointment.

One of the reasons it has taken me so long, and it's shames me to admit this, is I've been embarrassed by my weight. I know when I go in there I will hear something about how much I weigh and my tender ego simply doesn't want to deal with that right now. Dumb, right? I feel like an idiot just admitting this to you all.

 I had a very small goal of being in Onderland before I set up the appointment. And then I realized what a dumbass I was being.

I read an article talking about deaths during half marathon races. And I know they are rare, but I ran in one, my second half marathon, where two people died. One was a man in his forties, the other a guy in his early twenties. People die from running.

And I am overweight. My body went through the pregnancy and delivery of twins! I gained and lost weight quickly, then gained it all back again. This can put a lot of stress on the heart, the gall bladder and whole host of other organs. I NEED to get checked out so I know I am in a place where I can run and not worry about being a statistic.

My appointment is at the end of April. There is a very real possibility/hope that I will be in Onederland by then. And even with that, my doctor isn't going to know how much I weighed BEFORE this. He'll see that number and know I'm overweight so what difference does it make to him?

Anyone else fear the doctor*?

* Not the one from Gallifray. Now, if I was going to see The Doctor it would be a different story. Chris Eccelston, David Tennant, Matt Smith, any of them can take my blood pressure. (wink wink)

2 comments:

  1. I hate going to the doctor and having to step on the scale, but fortunately I have a doctor who I know at this point and he knows that I am working on being healthier and improving. Its all about finding the right doctor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully this one works out. I love him as the boys' doctor and Hubs likes him so I have high hopes.
      Don't even get me started on my feelings about dentists!

      Delete