Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Go Speed Racer!

Hubs is on an early schedule again. I want to yell at his boss for having him go in early, but since Hubs owns his own flooring company, it's really HIS fault. Ah well. Work is work and I am always thankful he's working*.



I like to get at least three miles in on non long run days. I feel three miles is a good distance to qualify for a good workout and for good training. If I can get three miles in in the morning I am a happy camper.
 
I thought I had negative splits in there. Ah well.
Today I followed my lovely well lit route from last week. And I managed to pull in 3.12 in 37 minutes and change. Right after I hit stop on my Map My Run app and started walking the last block to my house I realized I had just PRed my 5K time. Let the Badass Runner Dance commence! (I like to picture myself rocking it out a la Kevin Bacon in Footloose but you can do whatever Badass Runner Dance floats your boat. Perhaps you're more of a Flashdance kind of dancer)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. 
Happy people just don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." 
Elle Woods, Legally Blonde

On a different note, I don't eat before my morning runs. I don't drink coffee, either. It's too early for me to even think about eating. And either Hubs makes coffee when he wakes up or I make it when I get back from my run. I wonder if I should start fueling with something when I wake up. I think any type of sports energy thing might upset my empty stomach. Any suggestions?

Speaking of eating, I've gotten into the habit of having a turkey sandwich for breakfast. I know it sounds weird, but I'm not a huge egg fan so eggs don't really work for me in the morning and Mama needs protein. I use one slice of bread and load it up with turkey and a handful of a spring salad mix. It's really good and easy to eat on my drive into work. Anyone else eat non-traditional breakfasts? 


 *Except maybe not quite as thankful when my alarm goes off twenty minutes earlier than normal.

8 comments:

  1. OOOOH! Way to go on that PR and for being on a Runs for Cookies Motivational Monday! Way to go! Turkey Sandwich does sound good for breakfast! I usually eat after I run too so no advice there and I usually go out on an empty stomach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum turkey!
      And thanks for noticing the Motivational Monday link. I love Katie!

      Delete
  2. I don't eat before working out either. Not because it's too early but my tummy likes to play tricks on me so it's better to be empty. Maybe try a piece of fruit and peanut butter.

    I don't like eggs either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not alone in the eggs department or in the not eating before a run department.

      Delete
  3. For morning runs, I just pick my favorite granola bar (love Odwalla and Kashi) and eat half before my run and half after. It's just enough to hold me over, but not enough to make me feel like I have something in my stomach, if that makes sense. I know a lot of people do toast and PB though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. I've got plenty of those lying around. I think I'll try that tomorrow. Wonder if the extra fuel will give me a burst of energy?

      Delete
  4. I have to eat before I run or I don't feel good. I usually go with oatmeal, peanut butter, and a banana, or a bagel and peanut butter. Anything with a good portion of carbs and protein.

    Congrats on being on Runs for Cookies, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found you from Runs for Cookies and like your blog....now I'm following :)

    ReplyDelete