Friday, March 28, 2014

This Is How We Do It

I am having a root canal today at noon. I have had a few in my lifetime so I'm not any more afraid of this than I would be if I was getting a filling. Of course, I am petrified of getting a filling so that's not saying much.

I'm glad I put off yesterday's run until today. Hubs didn't have to be at work super early so I was able to get up a somewhat reasonable hour (since when is anything before six AM reasonable??) and get my four miles in. And it was warm out! By warm, I mean in the fifties. Of course I didn't check the weather before I left so I walked out the door with more layers on than I needed. I wasted some precious time adjusting what I was wearing as best as I could. I ditched my hat and gloves, unzipped my jacket halfway and headed out.

It was windy so the jacket helped. I had an excellent run with some awesome splits.
Yep, had to take a picture of my computer screen. Gotta love it!
When I ran I didn't think about my upcoming dental appointment or anything like that. I listened to my music and my breath and just enjoyed the moment. I actually enjoyed that run which says something.

Yes, I don't like getting up early. Yes, sometimes it takes me ten minutes to convince myself to get out of bed and run. And yes, during that first half mile I am usually cataloging my aches and pains and mentally berating myself for even attempting to run.

But, when all is said and done, when the run is over and I can look back at my splits or the distance I covered I feel damn good.

And that is why I run.*

*Plus, I can eat a milkshake today instead of lunch (dental appointment) and not feel guilty about it. That's also why I run.

3 comments:

  1. Mmmm....milkshake....

    Well done on your run and those are fantastic splits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome splits, and as always I'm in awe of your ability to talk yourself out of bed in the morning! I love it, that is totally why I run too (the after run feeling and the milkshakes...or cupcakes....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the first half mile, though mine usually lasts a mile. It's the hardest, but I'm always happy that I went. :)

    Nice splits too!

    ReplyDelete