Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Mama. Mama You Know I Love You

This morning, just a shade before 4AM, I was woken by the cries of a somewhat cranky toddler. I got up with C, letting Hubs sleep a little bit.

Sometimes C leaks through his diaper so the first thing I did was change him. His diaper was full, but not leaking. I snuggled with him for a few minutes then put him back in his crib.

After twenty minutes of soft cries, sorta falling asleep noises, and then loud cries I went in to get him again. My alarm was set for 5:30AM for my morning run so I told Hubs I would stay up with C until 5:30 then we could switch. Hubs didn't have to be up until six.

Well, 5:30AM rolled around and I figured it was a little selfish of me to wake Hubs up so I could run when C was perfectly fine sorta dozing and sometimes giggling on my lap. Besides, I always love a little extra kid time.

Just after six C fell asleep. I was able to put him in his crib and he stayed asleep. I have no idea why he woke up or what it was. Teething? Hunger? Anger? In the end I chalked it up to JBBB...Just Baby Being a Baby.

Hubs was still asleep. And I really wanted to crawl back in bed with him and try to get some extra Z's. But, I figured not only would his alarm be going off shortly, and waking me up, but my own alarm would be going off right after that. I wouldn't be getting much sleep so I said "eff it" and went a run.

Now, I doubt myself A LOT. I doubt my mothering skills, my marital skills, my athletic skills...the list goes on and on.

But, in that moment, as I was about halfway through my first mile I felt BAD ASS. Here I was running when I had just been up with a kid for two hours, after going to bed later than normal. Here I was doing my thing, getting out and moving when I had a perfectly good excuse not to run.


I ended up running three miles. They weren't my fastest miles, but damn, they felt good!

When I look at these splits I like to think "hey, remember when you were running a 15 minute mile"?

11 comments:

  1. Now that's what I call dedication and determination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS! I thought about talking myself out of it, but said screw it and ran anyway!

      Delete
  2. Wow what an awesome post and you are BAD ASS! I'm not sure I could have had the willpower to get out the door and get those miles in! Way to go, seriously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AW thanks, Des! I don't know how bad ass I will be feeling around six o'clock tonight. Mama's going to bed early!

      Delete
  3. Seriously. You totally are Bad Ass. That's some serious motivation right there. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS SO MUCH, Meg! Whew, it was tough but I'm glad I stuck it out and went for a run. NOw I need a nap.

      Delete
  4. Ohhh man, kids and their 'I'm awake, so you should be awake' mentality is the worst! LOL

    Great job getting out for that run on little sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I love my boys but I don't really want to hang out at 4AM!

      Delete
  5. Wow! Running after early morning mommy duties! Total dedication!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jamie! I think if I had thought about it for too long I would have ended up back in bed. Best to just get out there before I could change my mind!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete