Monday, April 21, 2014

Take This Sinking Boat and Point It Home/Weekend Recap

Ah the weekend. It was glorious. The weather remained spring-like all weekend (I had secret worries we would get snow because, you know, Michigan weather), plus it was Easter weekend which means we had plenty of yummy food to eat.

Want to hear my secret on how to avoid overindulging in Delicious Easter dinner treats? Take two toddlers, have them not be really hungry or into what's for dinner and then try to eat your own dinner while wrangling them. It's fail safe, trust me.

I was also so tired by the time we got home from my in-laws that I didn't even have the energy to snack on leftovers. I brushed my teeth and went to bed.

But, I'm getting ahead of myself.

I had a Girl's Night Out Saturday night. My friends and I started a little diet challenge, starting May 1st. The person with the highest percentage of weight loss at the end of each month gets their meal paid for when we go out to eat for our monthly Girl's Night. That way it doesn't stretch anyone's pocketbook TOO much (since the meal will be split amongst the four other contestants) and it'll be a fun way to keep ourselves motivated.

I was able to walk with the Guys on Saturday and with the dog on Sunday. My leg didn't hurt much either day so I will take that as a good sign. I'm not going to lie, I did think snotty thoughts towards runners whenever I saw them. You will be able to run again, Meg!
Saturday's walk. Look at those splits!
Sunday's walk. My poor dog. She was so tired after this walk.
I really wanted to get some exercise in on Sunday since I knew Easter dinner had not only cheesy potatoes but also green bean casserole. Those are my FAVORITE holiday dishes. I would eat them everyday if I could.

Lona walking along the golf course perimeter
I'm used to running at a faster pace so I underestimated how long and how far we were walking. I had to rush the last bit. Thankfully my leg behaved itself and I made it home in a little over an hour.
I had to resist the urge to high five this glove as we passed it
It is easier to get lost in your surroundings when walking. When I run I get lost in my own mind, in the zone and don't pay as much attention to the little details (I do pay attention to the big details like CARS). When I'm walking it's easier to see things around me. So there is that. Walking isn't the worst thing ever. It's not as good as running, but it's not the worst. Hopefully this leg issue goes away. I am going to attempt a run on Thursday. We'll see how that goes.

How was your weekend?

6 comments:

  1. ooh is that a Glen Hansard song reference?! I adore him!

    Glad you had a wonderful weekend and getting some exercise in anyway! Happy Easter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heck yeah Glen! Glad you picked up on that!

      Delete
  2. Glad that your leg held up for walking. Also, cheesy potatoes? Om nom nom nom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO GOOD! At least we have leftovers that won't last very long!

      Delete
  3. Michigan really came through for us this weekend, it was beyond beautiful!! I get caught up with the scenery more when I walk than run, too. Sometimes it's nice just to slow down a bit.

    I hope your leg holds up for you on Thursday. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it did, thank you Michigan!
      You're right, slowing down helps to enjoy the scenery that's for sure. And the dog liked it.

      Delete