Thursday, May 22, 2014

Some People Wait a Lifetime For a Moment Like This

I had a tiny bit of time to get dinner in between work and a meeting.

All day long at work, whenever I had a second,  I mentally tried to figure out what to eat.

I nixed McDonald's right away. While sometimes the lure of those hot, greasy fries can be so tempting I cannot resist, I have resisted for some weeks now and I'm not about to fall off that wagon, not yet.

I thought about Subway and did some research using their online nutrition information.

Subway was a little out of my way so I nixed that, as well. Plus, the food had to be portable enough to eat while sitting in a parking lot and Subway can be messy.

I had to run to the grocery store to get some cereal bars and snacks for my boys so I figured I would just get something there. After briefly holding a container of six buffalo wings in my hand, I put them down and opted for something else. I ended up with a turkey roll up, Pop Chips and some watermelon. Who else is super excited that it's summer time and therefore time to eat lots of watermelon?

On a whim I checked out the nutritional value for the things I would have normally ordered from McDonald's. Here is the breakdown:

McChicken (no mayo): 310 calories
4-piece Chicken Nugget: 190 calories
Small fry: 230 calories
Total: 730 calories

And here is the breakdown of what I had:

Turkey Roll-up: 353 calories
Sour Cream and Onion Pop chips: 120 calories
Watermelon: 46 calories
Total: 519 calories

And that's just the calories. I'm sure I passed on TONS of extra fat and sodium.

I don't always make the best choices when it comes to eating. But, yesterday, in that moment, for that meal, I totally kicked ass.

5 comments:

  1. You go girl! Excellent choices! It's so hard when you are pressed for time too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a huge win! Well done. It's all the little choices that add up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice!! I am always amazed at how many carbs/calories fast food has not to mention chemicals and sodium. Great choices though!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiny wins count majorly. Way to go ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job!

    I guess I'm the only person who doesn't like watermelon. ;)

    ReplyDelete