Monday, June 9, 2014

In the Jungle the Mighty Jungle the Lion Sleeps Tonight

You guys know I love my morning runs, right? I really enjoy them for a whole list of reasons I have gone over multiple times.

Well, after last night's run I could see myself changing my schedule around.

I had planned on getting up early Sunday morning to go for my first scheduled long run (four miles). When I didn't get to bed until after midnight on Saturday I knew that wasn't going to happen.

We had a whole bunch of stuff going on this weekend. On Sunday we capped it off by taking the Guys to a graduation party at a park. They did plenty of running around so by the time we got home after seven they were beat. They snacked on some goldfish crackers, had some milk and we all watched The Little Mermaid until just after eight.

After the boys were in bed I realized 1. it was still light out and 2. I had my "chores" done for the weekend. Laundry was in the washer, kitchen was clean, bathroom was alright. On top of all of that was was downright LOVELY out. Seriously, it was in the low 70's, the sun was starting to set and there was a cool breeze. It was RUNNING WEATHER!

So I went for a run.

I don't know if it's because my muscles were warmed up from chasing after toddlers all day or because I was just more awake but my run felt good. And when I saw the time of my first mile, sub-14 min/mile with a five minute walking warm up, I knew I was in for a good run. I pushed myself for negative splits, and that totally happened.

I am normally a quantity person, that's the training plan I use. It's not about how fast you go during training runs but how many miles you get under your belt.

But sometimes it feels good to just kick it into overdrive and run faster than normal.

My weekday schedule simply does not allow for that many evening runs. And with the temps rising I kinda doubt I'll get that perfect evening weather again any time soon. I'm just glad I got to enjoy it while I could.

8 comments:

  1. I love evening runs....but that may be because I am not a morning person. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Morning runs take some getting used to. And even then they still kinda suck.

      Delete
  2. Yay! sounds like a great run! I love it when a run comes together like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying to convince myself to be a morning person and run before work because the heat is too much for me lately.

    Love that you had such a great run though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's not even as hot here as it is by you and I can't imagine running in it.

      Delete