Monday, July 14, 2014

As They Make Their Way Across the Universe

I have been doing a lot of cross training (swimming, running stairs) and hitting the weights a few times a week. I hear it over and over, how much it helps runners to do stuff other than run.

People, let me tell you, it has certainly made a difference for me!

I ran on Monday last week and then didn't run again until Sunday night. My plan is all screwed up and I'm trying to build mileage without going TOO quickly to avoid injury. But, I also don't have a whole ton of time here so I'm dealing with it and working things out.

Yep, I had almost a week between runs.

In that time, I did manage some strength training, some swimming and some other indoor workouts.

My plan was AT LEAST four miles with the option of a fifth mile if I still felt good. I ran 2.5 out and 2.5 back. And as I was running back, passing mile four, I realized something: even with a week between runs my legs felt excellent. I could've added a sixth mile but didn't want to push it and it was getting pretty dark.

All of my miles, aside from my first one with my five minute walking warm up, were under thirteen minutes. I did a 2:1 run/walk ratio for all you Galloway runners.

Here I am preaching it to you...CROSS TRAINING MAKES A DIFFERENCE SO GO DO IT RIGHT NOW!

I feel less like "dear god, why did I sign up for a half marathon in August?" and more like "OK I can do this. It'll be slow, but I can do it".

As for the weekend, Hubs and I had a spectacular date night on Saturday night. We ended up with FRONT ROW tickets to The Book of Mormon. To give you an idea of just how good it was, my non-theatre-loving husband woke up Sunday morning singing songs from the show. So funny! I wish I could count all the calories I burned laughing my butt off!

8 comments:

  1. What are you doing for cross training (so I can steal your magic!)? It sounds like you had a great weekend, and a great run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been running stairs in my basement. sometimes I put a good t.v. show and then just step on and off the bottom step for 45 minutes. And I've been swimming and then treading water for 15 minutes after my swims. As for weights, I am somewhat limited because I have to use what's in my basement but I used the part of the weight bench where I put my ankles under a padded bar and lift the weights up using my quads. does that make sense? Ok, I just looked it up. It's a leg extension.

      Delete
  2. So glad you got to go to the show! And yay for cross training! I'm training for my first tri and my running is getting crazy stronger with adding in all the non running activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy how much of a difference it makes. And I am so glad, too!

      Delete
  3. Very encouraging! I haven't started running yet, but I bet the cross training could help with my walking too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it would!
      When and/or if you start running you should check out the Galloway method. I love it!

      Delete
  4. Oh awesome! I have STILL yet to get in the pool this year! I'm determined though. This week I shall swim!!
    OOH love to hear that you loved Book of Mormon! I need to find out if it is playing somewhere near me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU CAN DO IT! Swimming is so much fun but I feel like it takes me twenty minutes just to get my too small suit on. HA!
      We're going through a polar vortex in MI the next few days, lows in the 50s highs in the low 70s so no pool for me until the weekend.

      Delete