Tuesday, July 8, 2014

In the Still of the Night

Hubs and I settled the boys down for the night, after exhausting them in the swimming pool, and I headed out for a run.

I am being a terrible half marathoner right now and am seriously behind in my training. I don't want to build mileage too fast so I'm figuring out a plan. I can do it, even if I have to walk more than I'd like. I keep telling myself I'd be taking it easy anyway because of it being an August race. Watch, it'll be sixty degrees and cloudy with a cool breeze that day.

I need to get some sort of mileage under my belt, so I headed out for a run last night. My goal was three miles. I ended up with four. Yay for four miles!

Here is where I tell you something I am sure you already know. At least you probably already know it if you are female.

It sucks running at night.

The temperature was perfect, the sun was setting so that wasn't the problem.

The problem was the OTHER people out running or just out and about. I run with a wariness I am sure most of you have experienced. I check behind myself. I am aware of my surroundings. I don't listen to music. I wear my hair in a tight bun instead of in a loose ponytail. I wear oversized t-shirts.

It sounds stupid and maybe silly. I live in a fantastic area. It's a small city that borders another small city and both cities have an excellent police presence.  I run on well lit and busy roads, but not so busy I also need to worry about cars.

But, bad things can happen in good cities.

And there are patches of darkness and empty lots on even the busy roads.

So I follow my runner rules. And I try to enjoy the run as much as I can when half of my brain is focused on what is going on around me.

It sucks, but it's what I do. And I think it's what A LOT of women do.

Funny, I never felt as nervous or wary when I ran in the mornings. I guess there aren't as many people out at that time of day. Looking forward to my schedule getting back to normal in a month so I can run in the AM again.


11 comments:

  1. I agree, when I was running after work I was running a lot more carefully. I would even bring my most protective dog with me and she kept me aware of my surroundings as well. We live in a good neighborhood but you still never know. Great job on those 4 miles!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My dog is a little older so she can't run with me anymore but I do take her when I go for walks. Dogs are get detterents (sp)!

      Delete
  2. I thought you were going to mention that it sucks to run at night cause of all the mosquitoes, hee hee! But I agree - early morning feels much safter!

    Great job getting that extra mile in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I move too fast for mosquitoes! ;)
      Actually the mosquitoes weren't that bad until I was walking for my cooldown.

      Delete
  3. I used to run like that, but then I got a dog! I feel significantly safer when I run with either of or both of my dogs. And they may just lick someone to death, but they sure do look mean and intimidating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs make running better for everyone! Even friendly dogs who will lick people!

      Delete
  4. yea, something about running at night is far more scarier than running in the morning before the sun even comes up. Good job getting it done though and just stay safe! Maybe carry some mace with you on your night runs as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking into a small handheld pepper spray, thanks!

      Delete
  5. I love running at night. All winter I ran between 8 and 9 p.m. with my hair in a ponytail and my headphones in. I live in a pretty small town in a neighborhood with a house on every lot, and I rarely leave the neighborhood. I've honestly never felt unsafe. Maybe I'm just stupid, but it's so peaceful, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what's funny? I think running at night in the winter would be less scary. Lots more people (strangers) out at night in the summertime.

      I don't think it's stupid at all! Small towns are clearly safer than larger cities. I don't live in a large city but I live in the suburbs of one.

      Delete
  6. I can totally agree with the wariness thing. I never run at dusk or night because of that, and last week that uneasiness was why I turned back on part of my run. This even though I am a trained martial artist. It makes me sad that I even have to think about it.

    ReplyDelete