Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Let the Rain Fall Down, I'm Coming Clean

Yesterday afternoon I left work at my usual time, right around 4:30PM. It normally takes me about a half hour to get home. It had been raining steadily all day around here so there were some tie-ups and a little bit of water on the road.

Just as I got near home the skies really let loose. And for about an hour and half it was a monsoon.

Luckily, J. and my mom, who watched the Guys, made it home safely.

Because then it got really crazy.

Every freeway in the Metro Detroit area closed at some point. The freeway I had been on not thirty minutes earlier flooded so badly people were sitting on top of their cars waiting to be rescued. Most of the roads are still closed today. There is so much water on one section of the freeway it looks like a river and not a freeway.They are actually bringing in a dive team to check that section of freeway.

Here's a picture of an intersection last night in Warren, where they were hit the worst:

Thankfully I did not take this picture!

As the rain increased and we noticed the street in front of our house get flooded J checked our basement. Unfortunately, it was flooded, too. Fifteen minutes before he looked I had gone down there and checked everything and there wasn't a drop of water in the basement. That's how fast it came in!

We ended up with about eight inches of water down there, maybe twelve at the deepest parts, that eventually receded. It left behind damaged carpet, drywall...I don't even know about the appliances or furnace and hot water heater. J and I both had to work today so my mom is home with the Guys. My brother is over there and will check things out later on this morning.

I know everything down there is just STUFF. Our house is fine, our vehicles are fine, but man does it suck. And I know this will come as no surprise to you when I tell you our homeowners insurance does not cover sewer back-ups. That's a separate rider. If a meteor hits our house, though, we are golden.

I am thankful my family is safe. I am thankful I am not sitting on my roof right now waiting to be rescued. Believe me, if I don't come across that way, I am feeling that way deep in my core. But I am also sad and stressed. But, mostly thankful.



7 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that your basement got damaged and flooded. I couldn't imagine. I think it is okay to be thankful but also to be upset about the damage that happened. Home owners insurance has never made any sense to me. Seriously. what they cover, what they don't. Seems silly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's frustrating, that's for sure! At least we're all healthy and safe.

      Delete
  2. Oh man. I'm so sorry! How awful! Glad you guys are safe and sound though and the rains let up. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow! So glad you all are okay, and maybe this will help clean out some things you don't use? But not the water heater and whatnot...you need those :) Warm wishes to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far water heater and freezer are good. And I was kinda thinking that, at least we get to get rid of a lot of the crap.

      Delete
  4. Oh no! You, too? It seems like half my relatives are suffering. I can't believe how many basements Downriver are flooded!!!

    Hope you can get it cleaned up soon. :(

    ReplyDelete