Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Don't You Know I'm Still Standing Better Than I Ever Did

I have horrible posture.

I know part of this comes from having a larger chest pretty much since puberty. Large chest + unwanted attention (seriously, I was accused of stuff my bra in the fifth grade) = slouching.

I also sit at a desk all day and I have recently begun to pay attention to how I am sitting. I cannot believe how crappy it is. When I notice it, at least this past week since it's been on my mind, I straighten up and I must add two inches to my seated heat. It's ridiculous.

It feels weird and unnatural to stand up straight with my shoulders back. It doesn't hurt, although I do feel my muscles working in different ways, even just sitting at my desk. But, I stood in front of the bathroom mirror yesterday and looked at myself all slouched over and then standing there with my shoulders back and it does make a difference.

I don't want to be a sloucher. I want to be the kind of woman who stands around with her shoulders back, chest out, size be damned, and is a presence in the room, not someone trying to disappear. I don't want to disappear. I'm not eleven years old with big boobs that I don't know what to do with any longer. It's time to stop acting like it.

3 comments:

  1. Chris and I argue so much over 80s Elton John vs. 70s Elton John. Which Elton John do you prefer? (and I'll tell you my answer later).

    I have horrible posture too. And my chair at work doesn't help. It doesn't adjust like at all, so I have to kinda lean forward to type and whatnot. So sitting up properly is tough to do. And I hear you about the boob issue too. Posture is definitely something I need to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you! I have a larger chest and am taller, so it has taken me a long time to combat trying to be smaller. I try to make a conscious decision to stand tall and proud these days. I am not making myself smaller just so that someone else feels bigger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, I am a sloucher too. If I had a dollar for every time my mom told me to stand up straight and suck in my gut... I try to stand/sit up straight when I remember, but it sure does feel weird. I have noticed that I have been trying harder since I have been losing weight...maybe it is increasing confidence :)

    ReplyDelete