Thursday, September 4, 2014

I'm Sorry I'm Not Home Right Now I'm Walking Into Spiderwebs

As soon as I let go of my half marathon plans a mental block opened up for me and I actually went for a run this morning.

Sure, I tried to talk myself out of it.

Me: So tired. Stop going off alarm. Sleepy time.
Active Me: Get your ass out of bed. The extra thirty minutes of sleep you are about to get is not going to be better than a run.
Me: No. Tired. Sleep.
Active Me: GET. UP. NOW. Just get up and go run for thirty-five to forty minutes at whatever pace you want and whatever distance you want. But, get up and go out there.
Me: Fine.

I ended up running negative splits, which was awesome. And got in over three miles, which was also awesome. Without the looming cloud of "holy shit I have to beat my previous half marathon time I can do this" hanging over my head it was much easier for me to run for the sake of running.
Hey sub 12:00 minute mile!
I also managed to do some high intensity sprints during my runs. Gotta work on that calorie burn, right?

I don't listen to music so I sometimes get random bits of songs stuck in my head while I run. Today it was a phrase. Every time I started doing a bit of sprinting my brain locked onto HIIT and I would mentally say, "High Intensity Interval Training" over and over again. Weird, right? I should start listening to music when I run.

I also turned down a Diet Mountain Dew this morning. Score one for me! I have fantastic co-workers and one of them was running out to a convenience store and asked if I wanted anything. I usually get one when he offers and then I save it for lunch. Not today, my friends. Take that GYSTS14!




8 comments:

  1. Wow what an excellent start to the day! I'm glad that now the Half is out of the picture, you seem to have found your groove back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't listen to music when I run either, and often repeat words or phrases. Glad I am not the only crazy one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, glad to know there's another oddball like me out there!

      Delete
  3. Love it! I couldn't exercise without music though because I would just hear a whole bunch of whining going on inside my head lol. Though I do somehow swim without music and it is peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't worry, there is still plenty of inner whining!

      Delete
  4. I love your conversation with yourself - "Active You" is quite the bossy one, isn't she? Glad she is on your side :) Good job passing on a soda. I gave it up a year and a half ago and I am still afraid to take a sip of Diet Coke - I don't want to get sucked back in.

    ReplyDelete