Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Run Running All the Time

I had plans to run a half marathon on the 21st. I wanted to beat the crap out of the half marathon that had beaten me down a year ago. I am positive I can run that half marathon. And also positive that I could do better than I did last year. I am also a realist and I don't want to burn myself out or hurt myself or do anything stupid.

I switched my registration from a half marathon to a 5K.

And I am a-OK with that.

I've had a hard time going for runs. Life has gotten in the way and being tired hasn't helped. Getting up in the morning is just not appealing to me so I have to run at night. Hubs went to a concert last night so running wasn't an option. I did squats and push-ups while I watched t.v. instead. Not the best plan, but better than nothing.

And not going for a run made me realize that I really, really don't want to run 13.1 miles in three weeks.

I don't want to say I am burnt out with running. I'm not. I love running, at least I love running after the first mile. But, I'm kinda tired of training. I think I might join a gym with a pool so I can run or bike or swim or do the elliptical if I want. We'll see what the budget has to say about that. I just want to be able to run when I want to instead of run when I HAVE to.

A little part of me feels like a quitter. But a bigger part of me realizes, damn girl, you've already run TWO half marathons this year and five 5K's, cut yourself some slack.

Cutting slack, here goes.

My Get Your Sh!t Together September '14 Goals are going well. Sure, I'm only into Day 2 here but whatever, I feel good about it. Mini goals are the key. Mini goals. Mini goals. If I say it often enough I will believe it!

#GYSTS14. My water cup that I have marked up to make sure I drink my water during the day. I get a check mark for each full cup I drink. Goal is five of these a day. Day 1 was a success!



6 comments:

  1. I love the check mark idea! Is that just tape?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should go for what you think you can manage. So, it's good that you switched the races. (that's what I think)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the check mark idea! That's really great! I can totally understand the switching to the 5K. You're doing the right thing with your expectations and goals and it's good to always branch out. (You should totes pick up tennis ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just teeny tiny miniscule goals...you can totally do those :) I was supposed to do a 5k Sunday, but I am backing out. Totally understand the quitter, but after walking being on hold the last couple weeks I am just not ready. Once I got over the disappointment I am super excited about watching my husband and Millie run...expect lots of pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say "feeling like a quitter" - you are definitely not a quitter.

      Delete
  5. "I don't want to say I am burnt out with running. I'm not. I love running, at least I love running after the first mile. But, I'm kinda tired of training." THIS, so much THIS. Honestly, this post is one I could have written right now. I totally burnt myself out with my training. Still trying to decide if I'm going to run the half. I think you made the right call. Ease off a bit and get the love back. I'm totally with you on adding in more cross training, and less running.

    ReplyDelete