Friday, January 16, 2015

Baby Got Back

I am sharing this link to an article that I read yesterday that made me so sad.

Real Women Have Back Fat

Read this. Please read this.

"Real women have back fat. Real women also don't have an ounce of back fat. Real women, in fact, have all kinds of curves and wrinkles and pockets and lines. Every single body is different and has its own flaws and perfections, the result of a complex play of socioeconomic factors, heredity, health issues, lifestyle choices and a myriad of combinations of those factors. Women, just like men, come in every imaginable shape and size."-Stacie Huckeba

Please, women of this world, men of this world, PEOPLE, please, just stop hating on other people and ourselves for how we look. Stop with the negative thoughts. Please. Please. We can do this. We can lift each other up. We can love ourselves for the bright and beautiful butterflies we really are.

Stop hating on yourself. Stop. Right now. Just stop.

Tell me one good thing about you. Tell me an awesome thing you did today. Tell me why your body rocks.

I'll start. My boys weigh nearly thirty pounds each and I can lift them both at the same time and carry them around the house. And by lift them, I mean I bend down to pick them up, so that's practically a dead lift (yeah? I don't know weightlifting terms). I can carry sixty pounds of toddler without breaking a sweat. My body, the one that I hate so much more than I should, allows me to do that.

Eff off, society. I may not fit your standard of beauty, but damnit, I am still awesome!

10 comments:

  1. Aww I love this. I'm proud today of how far I've come. I may not be where I ultimately want to be but considering where I was, I'm a zillion times more healthier than I was before. And I have much more confidence than I used to. I'm not nearly as shy as I used to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!!!
    And who says we have imperfections? Haha. Totally subjective :) My stretch marks look like tiger stripes, and that's NOT an imperfection ;) I'm all about loving your body. You might as well, ya know?

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiger stripes, I love it. My sons love how squishy my tummy is when they poke it.

      Delete
  3. Love love love this. Today I am feeling good about eating healthy last night. We had my in laws over and there was cake, potato salad, and macaroni and cheese. All foods that I would normally indulge in, but I was perfectly happy with my salad, meat, and butternut squash. Life's small victories :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome job, Tiina! And you got up early and worked out on your trainer, too. Woot woot!

      Delete
  4. This is really lovely Meg. Our culture (and I honestly blame the internet) has become insanely harsh towards others in a myriad of ways, but especially about physical appearance. There's just really no need for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got into this long diatribe about Photoshop but then deleted it. But, yes I agree with you. The internet makes it so much easier to fat shame someone, to make fun of them while hiding behind the anonymity of a computer screen.
      I read an article that suggested people are getting heavier, not just becuase of the food and stuff but because our bodies are evolving with the changing world, like global warming, etc. I wish I could remember the article. I will try to find it.

      Delete
  5. I am having a hard time loving my body lately because I have been sick for a week. Love this blog post though! We should appreciate what our bodies can do while always striving to be healthy. I always tell myself, healthy, not skinny.

    ReplyDelete