Monday, January 26, 2015

But Tell Me, Did the Wind Sweep You Off Your Feet?

I quoted a Train song because I started training for my half marathon. Get it? I am so very, very funny.

I was worried about running on Sunday because the weather channel was reporting an expected 1-3 inches of snow. Running in the snow is great and I will do it if I must, but long runs in the snow are tough. A wise woman (thanks Desiree!) suggested I switch my long run to Saturday instead of Sunday. It's funny, I was so caught up in worrying about running that I didn't even think of doing that.

And that's what I did.

Oh and FYI, we didn't get any snow on Sunday. But it was much colder than Saturday and windy so I am glad I ran on Saturday.

I ended up planning a route to my sister's house. I figured I would run there, babysit my adorable niece while sis and her husband ran some errands, then hitch a ride home with one of them.

The weather was great, in the low 30's. My route was pretty simple and not too icy for which I am thankful. I had to run in the street a couple of times because lazy people didn't shovel the snow off their sidewalks and it was compacted and turned into ice. But for the most part the sidewalks were clear.

My goal for my long run was the keep my pace in the high 13 minute mile range. Jeff Galloway has a complicated equation on how to figure out your long run pace. I guess it isn't that complicated but according to my very general calculations I should be running at about a 13:45 mile.
Look at mile three and four, only a two second difference!
My Nike+ app wasn't super accurate for the first mile, I was certainly not running that fast, but I haven't had a chance to upload my Garmin data. According to my Garmin all of my miles were between 13:30 and 13:59. A couple of times I had to reign it in because I was going too fast.

I felt great at the end of the run aside from a bit of a twinge in my left quad. I know it was caused by the slant to the sidewalk I was running on. I've never run this particular route and it was very slanted and I could feel my quad bugging me as I ran so I know that is it. I will avoid that stretch from now on.

After a toddler birthday party Sunday afternoon I went for a walk to the library. I took the super long way there and super long way back to try to get my steps in for the day. It worked but I am looking forward to cutting back once I finish getting my steps in everyday in January.

All in all, it was a great weekend. Next Sunday I run my February race which should be great. Gotta love earning extra calories before Snackapalooza (AKA Super Bowl Sunday).

7 comments:

  1. Great weekend! Glad you guys didn't get any of the white stuff on Sunday though! Still sounds cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will sound cold to you until July. ;)

      Delete
  2. Love that you planned your run to end up at your sister's to babysit. Fitness doesn't need to be separate from everything else :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Anna. I didn't even think of that, but I'm glad I was able to work it out so I could do that.

      Delete
  3. Love the train quote hahaha!
    Good job getting it in! Gosh it's hard for me to run when it's cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to get out of my bed when it's cold!

      Delete
  4. Woo hoo! Yay for half marathon training! And way to go on hitting your pace for your long run. I always have issues when running outside with inconsistent pacing. You look like you're hitting that pace pretty evenly!

    ReplyDelete