Monday, January 12, 2015

Do You Wanna Build a Snowman?

Last night when I went to bed the local news was predicting 1-3 inches of snow. I only know this because I was watching the Golden Globes and the news came on right afterwards. Ok, I can handle 1-3 inches. I set my alarm for a little earlier than normal for my run and laid out my gear.

1-3 inches HA! Try 4-5 inches weather people!

I was already awake and it actually wasn't that cold out, 29 according to my weather app so I decided to run anyway.
I ran an out and back, so those are my tracks from the "out" part. And yeah, it was still snowing during my run.
You know what is fun? Running in the snow! Much like running in the sand it is a A LOT harder than a regular run. I ran 2.10 miles in thirty minutes, about two minutes per mile slower than my normal pace. But, I felt like I ran four miles at my fastest pace, at least my legs and lungs did. I'm just glad I got out there and ran.
Somehow this doesn't look as impressive as it actually was.
My key to snow running, and the best advice I can offer anyone, is two pairs of socks. I wear a wicking pair with a pair of hiking socks over that. At the end of this run, so after a half hour, when I took my shoes off, the hiking socks were damp but the other pair was fine. And my feet stayed warm the whole time.

And now I have started my week off with a short but successful run. Bring it on, week!

11 comments:

  1. You're such a freaking bad ass. I need to channel my inner Meg in the mornings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw man, thanks. I don't feel very bad ass so it makes me blush when you say that. YOU are bad ass!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! Running in the snow is much easier than running when it's super cold out.

      Delete
  3. Those crazy Michigan people :) Seriously, way to go! Now I am kinda hoping it will snow so I can try a walk in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we are super crazy! But it is fun. And it's easier on your joints becuase of the softer impact.

      Delete
  4. You rock!!! And you are TOTALLY bad ass!! I ran yesterday morning too and it was my worst run in almost a year! But, like you...I take solace in the fact that I got out there and ran. :)

    You are so tight that it's as hard as running in sand. :p I'm impressed that you even remembered to take pictures. You're a snow rock star!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured slow snowy runs are the same as fast runs on cleared pavement. By the time spring rolls around I will be speedy!

      Delete