Thursday, January 8, 2015

He's a Cold-Hearted Snake, Girl Look Into His Eyes

My Jawbone Up is a bully.

The lovely Runs to Get Waisted warned me about this. She told me I would end up arguing with my Jawbone. And she was right! Our wonderful group, Lovely Ladies Losing It, has different monthly goals. This month we are all working on getting in 10,000 steps a day. What a great goal, right?

Not according to my Jawbone. Oh no, that sneaky you-know-what sees me make my 10K goal a few days in a row and starts pushing me. "10K steps, Meg? Why not try for 12K?" And because I have no self control when it comes to a challenge lack the ability to say no want to get healthy, I accept the challenges.

Which is why I was pacing throughout my house last night while watching episodes of Parks and Rec on my phone. Thank you, Netflix! Thank you, Leslie Knope! Thank you, J, for forgetting to close that door that I walked into. Wait, no, NO thank you for that one, J! Yep, that's what happens when I get sucked into Ben and Leslie's storyline.

It's easy to get the steps in when I go for a run. On non-run days, or days where it is so cold out it's almost impossible to do an outdoor activity, it's tougher. I find myself taking the long way around when I drop off paperwork on someone's desk. I walk on my lunch. I walk in the bathroom. If I can get 10K steps in or close to it before I get home from work I am golden.

The good news is, I think about this while I am walking, what would I be doing instead of that? I would be sitting on the couch, possibly snacking. So I am thankful for you, Jawbone. You're a butthead. But I like you.

The bottom section shows that I've hit 10K steps every day since January 2nd!

6 comments:

  1. I get those "Today I Will" challenges all the time! And the Jawbone is so snooty and reproachful if God forbid, you do not hit whatever it's challenged you to do. The random buzzing also scares the crap out of me. But, it does motivate me to get off my butt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I am SO glad I am in that facebook group, it's fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so good at hitting my steps on run days, but it is so hard on swim or bike days! I will be happy when winter peaces out and I can get back to normal movement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha love it. And Andy Dwyer needs to run for office. I'd totally vote him in. My garmin does that too but I've been so lazy lately it's got me at only needed 8K to hit my "goal". Now if I can consecutively hit it, it will gradually get higher too. If only... lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE IT!! I need one of these to get me moving.

    ReplyDelete