Thursday, January 22, 2015

Slow Ride, Take It Easy

Maybe Thursday is going to be my new Sharing Articles That Have Changed My Life Day. Well, maybe not changed my life. But, at least made me ponder some things while I read them. And maybe not. But, for today it is!

If you are a runner, how often have you found yourself saying, "Oh I run, but I am really slow." Or, "I only ran X amount of miles." Or, "It was ONLY a 5K/10K/half"?

Read this article.

If You Run Slow, Who Cares

As a self proclaimed runner who is slower than a turtle running through molasses this article really hit home. Because I will ALWAYS be slower than someone. But, you know what? I will always be faster than 2007 Meg who was a brand new runner who had just quit smoking and couldn't run a block without stopping. And I'll always be faster than 2012 Meg who was having a hard time finding her identity after earning her shiny new Mom badge and was so exhausted anything more strenuous than climbing into bed defeated her.

And you know what? Who cares? Who cares that I'm not the fastest runner out there? Who cares if sometimes I am in the bottom ten percent of whatever race I have chosen to run. I ran it! I got out there and bundled up against cold and wind and ran! I did that this morning, got out of my nice warm bed and went for a run.

The leader of my Moms Run This Town chapter posted this article in our Facebook group and told us we are no longer allowed to call ourselves slow runners. If we are looking for running partners we can say, "I am planning at running at a such-and-such pace if anyone would like to run with me at that pace." The end.

I love that!

And because I am celebrating Meg today I am going to share a lovely NSV. I recently bought a bunch of stuff online from Old Navy because I had gift cards and they were having a giant clearance sale. I bought everything in XL and not XXL because I thought why the hell not?

And everything fits. In fact, somehow I ended up with an XXL top instead of an XL like I ordered and I put it on and it was BIG on me!

Yay for dropping an X!

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on dropping the X :) Your running inspires me! I am a 13:30 pacer on a good day myself :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so very, very much! 13:30 is awesome, Jessica!

      Delete
  2. One less X is awesome! Great job and as a fellow slow runner (even though I loathe it and rarely do run unless its after a tennis ball..) I concur!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great NSV! And rock on with that article! A runner is a runner, regardless of pace. Own your identity :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I am planning to run at..." Love that! Too often I find myself minimizing my abilities or desires to fit into someone else's world...I like the idea of saying what I want and "if you want to join me great." Congrats to the newest XL girl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Anna!

      It is very, very true. Your pace is your pace and if someone wants to share it with you, awesome.

      Delete
  5. Love that NSV!! Slow running is still running.. that is what I tell myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is wonderful. I used to diminish my pace or the races I did, but no more. Now I'm proud of whatever I do because it's more than what I was doing 7 years ago!!

    ReplyDelete