Wednesday, January 14, 2015

You Could Turn and Stay But You Run Away From Me

I usually wear ballet flats at work. When it is this cold and there is snow on the ground I wear my snow boots to work then throw on my shoes for the day.

Of course, when one forgets her shoes... Well, I guess you just deal with it. I have an extra pair of shoes here, some ankle boots that are too small (at least too small when one is wearing athletic socks which are the ones I was wearing with my snow boots) and black. I am wearing a brown outfit. Meh.

I did start the morning off better than that. After an eight minute debate I somehow got out of bed and went for a run. Does anyone else fight the same internal battle when getting up to exercise? Or do you crazy people just jump out of bed raring to go? It would help if I had actually gone to bed when I got into bed last night and not read for an hour and a half.  I was just going to read a chapter or two but I got sucked into my book. It's called Love and Other Foreign Words by Erin McCahan. It's a young adult book, but it is clever and well written and I enjoy clever and well written.

I had to check the temperature before my run. I checked it last night and it was supposed to be cold so I set out two pairs of pants and one top to go with my jacket. At the last minute, before I headed out the door, I grabbed an extra top and I am glad I did. Doubled up on the socks, my usual hat and gloves and I was off.

I have a buff that I can pull over my chin and mouth but when I do that my glasses fog up and I can't see. So I had cold cheeks. It wasn't unbearably cold so I toughed it out.
My first mile was tentative at best. I didn't know how slick the road would be so I kept my pace slow enough that I didn't even run my usual 2:1 intervals. After the first mile (I just ran out and back) I realized the roads were a lot better than I thought so I kicked it up a notch.

My cheeks were a little numb by the time my run was over. If I plan on running at these temps for extended periods of time I'm going to need a balaclava or something I can wear that won't blind me. Seriously, the fogged glasses are no joke. And I am pretty much blind without my glasses or contacts so I have to stop to clear them off.

But enough of that.

All in all, I felt good about this run. Here's to getting up early!

8 comments:

  1. This is my favorite company for face protection in the winter. I have the wool buff and I freaking love it. You can wear it a ton of different ways and it doesn't fog up my sunglasses normally.

    http://www.buffusa.com/sports/collections/filter/cold-weather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have zero words of advice because I don't think its ever even been that cold here! But I bet that is a pain to have to deal with (the glasses fogging up like that). I seriously admire the heck out of all you guys who tough it out in such cold temps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cold is a million times easier than heat! You can always layer up. In the heat you can only remove so many layers before it is illegal!

      Delete
  3. Ah Meg, you are killing me! I need my "its too cold excuse" and you keep blowing it up :) I need to look up balaclava...when I first read it I thought you said you need baklava...that I can relate to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I thought baklava, too! It's a face mask, basically. And it is ok to use the cold for an excuse if it is in the negatives. Other than that, get your butt out there. Millie will thank you!

      Delete
  4. You are amazing! Spring, summer, and fall I can just jump out of bed. In the winter I can barely get myself out of bed to go run on a treadmill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I had the treadmill as an option I wouldn't get up as early.

      Delete