Tuesday, January 6, 2015

You're as Cold as Ice

The feels like temp this morning was -3. Yep. I convinced myself to get up and just go for a short run. First, I didn't want to be out in the cold THAT long. And second, I knew my commute would be a disaster so I didn't have a ton of time.

I got in 2.05 miles and felt pretty good.
Pretty good because although it was a slow go, at least I didn't slip and injure myself. Because not only was it -3, it was also snowing.

I actually don't mind running in the snow. It's brighter so I didn't even run with a flashlight this morning. And snow is better than ice. Plus, I am sure it burns more calories, much like running on sand does. At least in my mind it does.

I wore running tights under a pair of pants and a long sleeve shirt under my jacket. I was comfortable for the most part, but I think I need to invest in a running jacket with thumb holes. My gloves left tiny patches of my wrists exposed and I kept tugging on the sleeves of my jacket.

The best part about a morning run is by the time I was done I was already halfway through my 10,000 steps for the day. Take that, Jawbone!

10 comments:

  1. You are my hero. Seriously. I'd be all like Homer Simpson backing into the shrubbery saying "nope nope nope".

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so awesome, that is for realz cold. Also, you will notice that you will begin to think of your Jawbone as a nagging spouse, and will also have arguments with it. It will nag you about the most random stuff. It continually tries to "challenge" me to go to bed at 8:30, and it's like Jawbone, what are you smoking? In what world does anyone go to bed that early?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! I bet I will. I already jump a little when it buzzes at me telling me to move. I'm like, "I get it, Jawbone, slow your roll."

      Delete
  3. The fact that you went out in that is freaking impressive. I'm such a wimp when it comes to the cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't mind the cold, which is good, I guess since I live in Michigan.

      Delete
  4. I thought of you when I drove to work this morning and saw a "crazy" lady running! In your honor I am going to take a "quick" walk at lunch - you are awesome :) And I know the song today!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I love it! I used to think people who run in this stuff are nuts...well, I guess we kinda are, but now I am one of those nuts. Good luck with your walk!

      Delete
  5. You are seriously hardcore. These temps have chased me inside. I'm all for running in the snow, but these single digits are too much for me. I also agree with the thumb hole thing, when I do go out in the cold I have a base layer with thumb holes that I pull over my gloves, keeps me nice and toasty. And yes, running in the snow burns more calories, because if it didn't that would just be cruel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg, yep, it would be cruel wouldn't it? I need to get a heart rate monitor and see if it makes a difference. Where is your base layer from? I need recommendations!

      Delete