Thursday, February 5, 2015

I Hurt Myself Today To See If I Still Feel

Wow, yesterday was a marathon! My mom had a total knee replacement. Her surgery was scheduled for 8:00AM so we (my brother A., mom, and I) were all at the hospital at 6:15AM. Whew. A. and I stayed with my mom in pre-op until they took her back for surgery. After that we headed to the cafeteria for some breakfast.

Luckily, this is a super hospital so their cafeteria consists of pretty much awesome good for you food. I had a breakfast burrito on a whole wheat tortilla with turkey sausage. And home fries. Yum! I especially enjoyed that they had the calorie breakdown of the food posted on the menu.

We both ate and then sat around waiting and waiting. I would do a quick lap of the waiting area whenever my Jawbone buzzed at me but,for the most part, I spent the morning sitting and reading.

By the time my mom was in recovery it was almost 11:00AM. And then I just hung out with her there while she dozed on and off and we waited forever for a room. I got her settled in and headed home. I had missed lunch, it was almost 3:30 by the time I left the hospital, and I really, really, really wanted to stop and get fast food on my way home.

I didn't stop.

I got home and the Guys were still napping so I had some leftover soup for a late lunch and called it a win.

I somehow managed to get my 10K steps in, but did have to spend a few minutes before bed doing laps around my house.

On a side note, my mom's surgeon was young...at least a few years younger than me. And I realized I am getting to an age where I am older than doctors. When did that happen?!? Hubs, bless his heart, was all "Did he hit on you?". To which I responded, "I think it's really sweet that you think I am hot enough for a cocky young surgeon to want to hit on." I love that man, I really do.


Tonight is pub trivia tonight. I am going to bundle the boys up and let them run around the neighborhood so I can get a little exercise in and they can burn off some excess energy.

All in all, not a bad two days.

13 comments:

  1. LOL! Love your hubby's comment about the doctor. Eric does the same thing to me and it's like, oh yeah, I'm such a vision in no makeup, my Bills sweats and my Southpark bus driver hair that the boys want to hit on me. And when I turned 35, everyone suddenly looks 15 years old to me.

    I am glad that your mom made it through her knee replacement without a hitch! Hope that she has a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I think the same thing is happening to me (I turn 35 in April). The police officers are babies now, too!

      Delete
  2. Great job getting those steps in and so glad mom's surgery was successgul!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I hope your mom has a fast recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah your hubs sounds sweet! Wow what an amazing thing, getting those steps in while having the day you had and managing to eat healthy too!! #winning I hope your mother has an easy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a sweet thing to say. Gotta love that man!

      Delete
  5. Look at you and your will power! And yay for your momma doing well post surgery :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whew, it was a tough battle but I won!

      Delete
  6. I hear you...I had surgery in 2013. When the doctor scheduled the surgery it was all I could do not ask him if he needed a ride to the hospital or would his mom drop him off. He didn't hit on me, but I like to think it was because my black belt in Jiu Jitsu husband was in the room :)

    Glad your mom's surgery went well. And major Kudos to you for doing a "drive by" instead of a "drive thru" on the way home :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha right? They're all Doogie Howser these days!

      Delete