Tuesday, February 17, 2015

More Than The Rivers That Run The Land

We are currently in the middle of a cold snap. And unlike other much braver souls I do not have the equipment or the will to drag my body outside in temperatures that are below zero BEFORE factoring in the wind chill.

Sigh.

February is a short month, right? And before we know it, it'll be March. And even if it snows in March snow in March is like fake or bonus snow so it doesn't really count. Right?

This is the stuff that runs through my mind to get me through the winter.

I don't own a treadmill and I'm not freezing my ass off running outside so I had to come up with an alternate plan. New plan: running in place. It sounded silly to me at first, because I know I am not really working the same muscles I would if I was running outside or on a treadmill. But, it's still moving and getting a calorie burn and according to my Jawbone I am getting some distance in. I ran in place this morning and "covered" two miles. I'll take it.

It is so much easier to get up and do that instead of layering up to go outside. Seriously, I throw on a sports bra under my t-shirt and my running shoes and I was good to go. It usually takes me ten minutes to get out the door for an outdoor run. Plus, I have to wait a few minutes staring at the sky and holding my arm up like a crazy person for my Garmin and Nike + app to find satellites.

Oh yeah and I get to do this AND watch Parenthood at the same time which makes it even better. Honestly, how have I waited this long to watch that show? I love it! And I am mostly in love with Adam Braverman. Seriously. Puffy heart in love with him. Peter Krause, you are a genius and a stud.

I didn't realize how much I missed working out in the morning until I started doing it again. I just feel so good today! Clearly getting the juices flowing that early makes a difference with my mental state. Yay workouts! Yay endorphins! Yay working out and watching a handsome man on the t.v.!

And just in case I thought about maybe trying something different over the next few days:
Yep, that would be cold, colder, coldest, back up to mostly cold. Balls. Saturday it's supposed to be in the low thirties, but snowy. And Sunday will be in the twenties. So I get to play the "Which of These Conditions Will Suck More?" game and figure out when to do my long run. I am supposed to be at eight miles but with missing all that running last week (damn you stomach bug!) I figure I will aim for five and go from there. Feel free to do the No Snow High Temperatures dance with me. It looks a lot like to Macarena but with more booty shaking.

8 comments:

  1. Kudos to you. I really can't seem to get myself out of bed with these temperatures. Can it be spring yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, is it spring? I am done with winter!

      Delete
  2. I hope that the cold and snow starts to go away soon! My poor MIL is in Western NY and is dealing with -20 degree weather. Awful! And good job on your running in place! That shiz can make you sweat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, that sucks for your MIL! Here's hoping spring gets here soon!

      Delete
  3. I am so ready for spring!!! Good for you making it work inside :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how your husband runs outside!

      Delete
  4. Geez louise! I can't even imagine! Great job with getting something done though!

    ReplyDelete