Monday, March 30, 2015

Double the Pleasure, Double the Fun

I like having the option of picking Saturday or Sunday for my long run. A lot of it depends on Hubs' work schedule, the Guys, the weather, party plans, etc. I like to think I usually pick the better day to run but sometimes I am like that guy in The Last Crusade and my face melts off. Or it rains.

Thankfully, I picked the correct day this weekend! Saturday it was COLD. I mean, February cold, not almost the end of March cold. It was sunny and clear which made it look really pretty out, but man, was it ever chilly. I had high hopes for Sunday.

Sunday dawned definitely warmer. Warmer, but windier. I think any run done in wind with super huge gusts should count as double what you actually ran. Talk about resistance training!

I planned my route around going to my sister's house. Figured if I got there around mile five I could refill my water bottle, potty and be good for the rest of the run. I took a new route. I don't often do that, I am a creature of habit and I LIKE being familiar with my running area. But, the last time I ran to her house the route I took had super sloped sidewalks and I ended up tweaking my quad. This time I ended up running through a not-so-nice neighborhood. Damnit.

I got to Sis' house at 5.10 miles. Did my thing, said a brief hello, and had a mental pep talk because I kinda wanted to stay there and have my sister or her husband drive me home. Nope. Not today. I had miles to run!

I took a different way home which ended up looping through my neighborhood. Man, I know my routes because I was about two-tenths of a mile away from my house when I hit ten miles. Nice planning! I walked the rest of the way to cool down.

Of course I also had regular home stuff to take care of when I got home. You know what's fun? Hauling laundry up and down the stairs with sore legs.
Now that is some awesome stepping!
Unlike last week's run I felt pretty good about this one. I haven't been able to run during the week as much as I should be, but I have been walking and I think that has helped with my legs. I am also having a hard time fueling during my runs. It's not that I don't have fuel, it's that I don't feel like I need it at all so I forget to eat anything. I HATE Gu or any sort of liquid goopy fuel, ugh the thought makes me want to gag right now. I usually use some sort of sugary something for fuel. Lately, I have been into these fruit leathers from Trader Joe's. Soft enough that I can easily eat them without them being stuck in my teeth for days. I eat one at the halfway point and that's it. I wonder if I should eat one sooner and another one later in the race? Race conditions are hard for me to imitate, this race starts at 8:45AM so I won't have as much food in me as I normally do for my long runs. In the past, I have eaten a salt bagel before my half marathons and that, along with something sugary along the course, seems to be enough for me. Oh yeah, and coffee, goodness knows I need that before I can run that long.

Wow, a lot of babbling there. How do you fuel? Any tips?

5 comments:

  1. I am glad you asked about fuel tips. My husband ran 10 miles on Sunday (in that crazy cold wind) and he is itching to run a half marathon. He generally doesn't do anything during the run....no water, no fuel. I always love to read how you plan your workouts around your schedule :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go on 10 miles!! Badass! I need to get my life together on the fueling options. My stomach is a weird beast and I hate eating before or during runs, but you kind of have to so you don't fall out with the vapors. In the past I've used the gels and blocks and don't really mind them, but I'd like to try some different options for when my marathon training starts. LOVE the fruit leather idea, I always hear good things about dates/raisins too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow 10 miles! Amazing! Hmm no suggestions on fuel but I do like those Stinger waffles and Quest bars for a little protein bump in the snack department. I"m not sure how well those would transport during a run though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 10 miles! That's awesome! Congrats!

    I have fuel issues, too. I'm okay with the gu, but I have a real issue with just eating anything that early in the morning before I go out for a run. I'm not a morning eater! I have to run 20 this Saturday, and I'm stressing about what I'm going to try to eat before I go. :/

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honey stinger waffles and chews are awesome. Also, swedish fish make great long run fuel. Not kidding :)

    ReplyDelete