Monday, March 16, 2015

From Glen to Glen and O'er the Mountainside/ Lucky Dash 5K Recap

My sister decided she did not want to get up early to run with me on Saturday so I had a change of plans. I ended up switching to a race much closer to home since I knew I would be running solo. Hubs figured he would attempt to bring the Guys to the race and meet me at the finish line.

We had a busy night Friday night, I brought the Guys to Hubs' hockey game. By the time we got home from that and the boys were down for the night it was almost 10:30. I ended up eating a bowl of cereal for dinner and going to bed. Somehow I managed to forget all about getting anything set up for Saturday's race. And of course on Saturday the boys ended up sleeping in until almost nine. By the time they woke up I was just getting up and feeling very flustered. I do not do well when I am running late.

I got out the door with all of my electronics and a Diet Mountain Dew (no time to wait for the coffee to brew). I didn't eat anything, I was overdressed, and I was tired. Not a good start to a 5K.

Thankfully the race really was super close. This was the one I ran last year with my friends where I ended up coming in last place.

I ended up registering and hanging out at the starting line with about fifteen minutes to spare. I didn't want to bring my t-shirt all the way back to my car, so I just threw it on over my tech shirt. Not a smart move, like I said, I was overdressed already, but not much I could do about it. If anything, it was a 5K, I figured I could handle being too warm for, at most, forty-five minutes.
The start
We heard some bagpipes and the National Anthem and we were off. Luckily my Garmin and Nike+ app were both working just fine (honestly, is there anything more stressful than waiting to hit start on those devices, hoping satellite coverage will stay strong) so I set them, plugged into my tunes (with only one earbud) and headed out. For all my Lovely Ladies, the first song I started with was "All For Love" by Bryan Adams, Sting, and Rod Stewart. Made me feel like you awesome women were with me in spirit!
I ran a 2:30/1:00 run/walk pace. This was my first time trying it out, but according to Jeff Galloway's website, that is the ratio I should shoot for to get 11 minute miles.
The first mile was tough. I felt like I was running a lot harder than my time showed. I calmed myself down, told myself I wasn't aiming for a PR, that with this race anything was better than last place (and that's not even bad because last place is better than no place) and I just kept moving.

My second mile was better, even with a water stop.
Woo-hoo mile two!
At about 2.25 miles, I didn't know if I could keep up the 2:30/1:00 pace. I dug deep, really deep. I started breaking the 2:30 chunk into thirty second pieces. "OK, you can get through thirty seconds. Only two minutes left. Another thirty seconds. Only a minute and thirty seconds left."

If you watch Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, just picture how Kimmy breaks things down into ten seconds. That was my thought process. I can do ANYTHING for thirty seconds.

And if you don't watch Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, you should start watching RIGHT NOW.

Why is it that a minute of running feels like AGES compared to a minute of walking?

I tried to do the calculations and figure out the slowest I could run in order to PR but math isn't my strongest skill. Math while running on empty is nigh impossible.

Just before the turn for the last tenth of a mile I saw Hubs and the Guys. He had them in the jogging stroller. I waved to them and Hubs gestured to the stroller like, hey, wanna take them across the finish line? Of course I did, so I grabbed the stroller and started pushing.

The last two-tenths of the race were uphill. My legs were tired and burning and I had stupidly agreed to push a stroller with sixty pounds of toddler in it up a hill. I immediately regretted that decision. I could hear C. chattering about the police cars at the finish and A. humming along to the finish line music and they just made me so happy in that moment. I used that bubble of happiness to push myself a little harder.

Because what I really, really wanted to do was walk.

I could see the clock as I turned the corner for the last little bit. It said 34 minutes and change. A little part of me was sad that I wouldn't PR, but I was just happy to be done running.

I finished in 34:05.

I hung out in the finish area to catch my breath. There was a line for water and snacks and I just didn't have the energy to wait for anything. Hubs, thankfully, did, so I hung out with the boys and watched trains go by while he got me a bottle of water.
Hubs: Next time you should run the whole 5K carrying the two of them!
It wasn't until later on that evening that I realized I had, in fact, PRed this race. By a full minute!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on your PR, that is so exciting!! You did so awesome. And those are two mighty adorable kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOWZA A PR by a whole minute!! That's awesome!!! Love the finish pic with the boys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to turn a rough start into an great ending. PRing with your munchkins is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, wow. Congrats on the PR. Sounds like you had to dig deep but you did AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome story!! Congrats on the PR and thanks for sharing the cute pic of your guys. :)

    Hope to see you at a race sometime soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rock freaking star! *And* with psuhing the stroller the last little bit!

    ReplyDelete