Tuesday, April 7, 2015

I Get Weak in the Knees I Can Hardly Speak

I should go back in my archives and check, but I am pretty sure I missed my long run two weeks before my half marathon during my LAST training cycle. I am winning at this, I tell ya!

The stomach bug hit my family hard late Saturday night. Started with my husband, then one of the boys, then me. Thankfully my other boy still remains stomach bug free. Fingers crossed all that bleaching and cleaning I did before I was knocked down helped keep the spreading to a minimum.

Thankfully, the boys don't realize they missed Easter. We are having Easter 2.0 next Sunday with my in-laws. We'll hide eggs for the boys in the morning. We'll have our Easter brunch with my sister who will put her adorable daughter back in her adorable Easter dress. Thankfully, the plastic eggs are stuffed with stickers and not candy or chocolate so we don't have to worry about Mom and Dad eating it going bad.

I feel partly responsible because for the first time ever I did Pinterest crafts and goodies for Easter and did not fail at them. I also stuffed the boys' Easter eggs Saturday afternoon during nap time so I wouldn't have to worry about it early Sunday morning.
Guys' hand prints in cards for the grandparents

Square pretzel, white chocolate melt, Easter M&M's
I never do crap like this because I am the least crafty person you know!

I had planned on running on Sunday but just wasn't able to fit it in. I felt fine for most of the day but spent a lot of it holding a poor sick kiddo and keeping Paw Patrol and Dora the Explorer on permanent rotation on our television.

Now I am left with the problem of "I'm supposed to start my taper" vs. "my last long run was three weeks before the half marathon". There is no way I can do a long run during the week, I simply do not have the time. Plus, I'm pretty sure my body isn't going to be ready for anything more than a few miles until at least the weekend. Ingesting nothing but Gatorade and McDonald's Coke (seriously, the best icy, cold pop (soda for you non-Michiganders) in the world) for two days does not help one's body prep for running twelve miles.

What do I do? Do I attempt a long run this weekend? Do I say screw it and run my scheduled six mile run? The half marathon is 11 days away. I'm not really running it for speed, at least not anymore, but would like to finish strong and with a smile on my face.

Any tips? Advice?

3 comments:

  1. No tips or advice but so glad you guys are all feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would be safer to do two long-ish runs back to back instead of one long run. For example, two 5 or 6 milers back to back. Will help you, but won't wear you down as much as a long run. Either way, you're going to rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Tiina, just do two longer runs back to back. You will be just fine and do awesome I bet. And I'm from the South, so we just call all soda "Coke" no matter what kind of soda it is. ;)

    ReplyDelete