Thursday, April 16, 2015

It's the Final Countdown!

In two days and about fifteen minutes from now I will be starting my half marathon. I feel pretty OK about it. That doesn't really sound that good, but actually "pretty OK" is better than "scared out of my mind". The weather is supposed to be sunny and in the seventies. A little warm, but at 9AM I doubt it will be that hot and I have an awesome running hat that should keep me shaded and cool.

Last year I ran two half marathons, but ran them with friends and I think that makes a difference. Having some company for almost three hours of running makes the time go by. This time it will just be me and my own mind and my music.

My goals for the next two days are pretty simple. This evening I will have my last run, a forty-five minute run at a super easy pace. I am working on being SUPER hydrated. Between today and tomorrow I plan on drinking water like crazy.  My friend who is running the 10K and I are getting pasta for lunch tomorrow. Apparently, eating a little extra on the carb front for lunch instead of dinner the night before a race is a better plan. Who knew?

I ran on Tuesday just like I had planned. I  put dinner in the oven, packed the boys into the jogging stroller and headed out for my second-to-last easy forty-five minute run. The boys did really well and we lasted for forty minutes. I'll take it. I had planned my route around not passing any parks and even went so far as to chase a garbage truck around the neighborhood. The boys were most impressed that we managed to catch up to it a few times. Eventually, I had to stop, clearly the truck was faster than me and we ran out of streets to loop around and catch it. They briefly fussed but got over it as we continued to run. At the end of my run, as I was heading home, we were waiting at a stop light when what should turn around the corner? The garbage truck! Both boys cheered, "Yay mama found the garbage truck!" Talk about feeling like a super hero!

They also, very adorably, would say, "On your mark, get set, go!" every time I took off from a stop.

I had the day off work yesterday and went to a dentist and doctor appointment. I am sure a lot of women can understand how much I hated the dreaded scale. My weight was exactly what it is at home, which is nice, usually it's higher. It's not a number I am particularly proud of, meh. The good thing, this was my first time at the practice, and I expected a weight loss lecture. Instead, when the doctor asked me the usual questions she said, "Do you workout?" and I said, "Yes, I run." and she said, "Great." and moved on. I have great blood pressure, I don't have high cholesterol. Yes, I want to lose weight, for me, but it is nice to know that no matter how skinny the BMI charts say I should be, my doctor is happy with me the way I am.

I also got complimented on my flossing skills. Thanks dental hygienist!

How has your week been going for you?

To all my Whole 30 ladies, I couldn't do it this month, I just didn't have the time or will to prep for it. But I am thinking strong thoughts for you!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck on your half marathon this weekend! You are going to rock it! I hope to be able to run a half marathon someday, but, for now, I'm going to keep working on being able to run a full 5K! It's gonna happen, though! You inspire me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Europe! Now that's stuck in my head!

    Good luck this weekend! I love that your little own personal cheering section says "on your mark, get set and go!" each time. That is too stinking cute! hehe

    Great job at the doc too! I hatehatehate the scale at the Doc's office, so maybe that means on your scale you are down a little perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love how you make it work. Chasing garbage trucks is a genius idea and definitely a super hero move!!! Can't wait to hear about your race :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll take positive vibes from you :)

    And you're going to freaking kill your race on Sunday. I mean really knock it out of the park :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! You'll rock the race. I ran my one and only half marathon alone, and was literally alone on the course most of the time (because I'm so slow). It was an excellent challenge to finish without anyone but my mom & family cheering me on.

    ReplyDelete