Monday, April 27, 2015

She's Got Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes

I often forget how awesome quality shoes feel until I go out and buy a pair. And the last time I did that was five years ago. Thankfully, Hubs, the Guys, and my in laws all went in and got me a gift certificate to our local running store so Mama could get a new pair of shoes for her birthday. Heck yeah!

The process was so easy and painless. First, I stood on a machine that analyzed where I put my weight. I put pressure on my heels and the ball of my foot, slightly off center. Then the sales clerk looked up my previous shoes. He had me take of my shoes, roll up my jeans past my ankles, and walk back and forth in front of him.

After that, he picked out a pair of shoes and had me try them on, then walk with them. He poked and prodded at them, decided we needed to go up a half size because the toes were a little snug. Another pair of shoes. More walking. More poking and prodding.

I liked the way they felt so he had me run on a treadmill (oops, sorry about the lack of sports bra) for a minute so he could analyze my gait in the shoes. He showed me the video, which was awesome. I am an overpronator, which I knew and which is quite common. With the new shoes on I got to see how the overpronation was corrected, although still present since some overpronation is normal.

And best part, the shoes I picked out and loved were on sale so I still have some money leftover to buy other fun running stuff.

I ended up with the Saucony Guide 7.

So you know I had to take them our for a test run as soon as I could, right?
It was such a nice day (FINALLY). I ran a three mile run minus the toddlers who were thankfully napping at the time. I had to get photographic proof it's actually spring here in Michigan:
WOO effing HOO!!!

14 comments:

  1. Happy Spring!! Glad it finally made it to you :) Your shoes look great! Shopping for shoes at a running store is a whole different experience. That is the same shoe my husband ended up with when we went - he loves them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY to a fellow Saucony lover! Give him a high five from me.

      Delete
  2. Cute shoes!! And I love all the science of choosing them! I'd be interested in knowing where you got them.

    Happy spring! (Though it didn't exactly feel like it last weekend!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went with Hansen's Running Store. They are in Clawson, which is near me. I've had great luck there with shoes (fingers crossed) and I bought two running hats there, one winter one summer, and LOVE them.

      Delete
  3. I love the smell of new shoes in the morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to actually go somewhere and get fitted for shoes. I've had the same pair for a couple of years and know this is the number one advice runners have. Yours are so cute! I have wide, flat feet, so, unfortunately, there aren't typically cute ones that work for my feet. Fingers crossed, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am telling you, going to a real running shoe store and getting fitted and having a gait analysis will make all the difference in the world with your shoes!!!!

      Delete
  5. Those are some awesome brand new shoes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. New shoes are awesome. I'm always super stoked to take new pairs out for a run, and you got an awesome day to do it too! ^_^ *new shoe dance*

    ReplyDelete