Monday, April 13, 2015

You Say It's Your Birthday, It's My Birthday Too

I turned 35 this weekend. 35. Old enough to start feeling some creaking in my joints but too young to think I am actually old.

In honor of my 35th I had planned a 3.5 mile run on Saturday. Well, I had planned a six mile run for Saturday and another six mile run for Sunday, but I wanted to take a picture of 3.5 miles and keep going for the rest.

Of course, I have kiddos and a husband who had to work and a whole slew of other crap going on so it didn't happen on Saturday. Ah well.

Sunday my lovely husband made me breakfast and let me sleep in. I ate, hung out for a bit and decided I would run right then.

Spring has finally sprung around here and I decided I didn't want to run alone.

"Go this way, Mama!"
 I planned my route to avoid all parks until the end of my run. We stopped and played at the park for about a half hour, then I trudged along for another half mile to get this:
I tried so hard to get 3.5 exactly. I had it, but then it was 47:58 and I had the great debate between an even 3.5 or getting to 48 minutes of working out. I'll take 3.51 miles.

It was a rough run for me, one of those ones where I started to doubt my ability to run 13.1 miles in less than a week.

And then I realized it was so rough because I was pushing SEVENTY POUNDS OF TODDLER while I ran. Duh.

I plan on running with them on Tuesday and Thursday. We had a good time, they liked the running parts and cheered me on, "Mama go faster!" when I felt myself lagging. Figure we can do the same thing, run a bunch, end up at the park, play, head on home. Fun for all! Plus, it's a full body workout. No joke, when I got up this morning my arms were sore, like weight lifting sore.

And my lovely husband, sons, and in-laws all went in on the best birthday present a runner could ask for: NEW SHOES! I am going to our local running store at some point this week to get them and I am super excited. I'm thinking Brooks, I have read good things, but I will try a bunch on and we will see.

Hope you had a lovely weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Pushing 70 pounds of toddler while you run is no joke. I am impressed. Happy shoe shopping! I like my Brooks - although the laces are not puppy proof :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work! You're going to crush your half! (especially without that extra 70 lbs)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I found your blog from Anna's awesome blog, and I love it! I am working on becoming a runner myself, and your mindset is so awesome. I am definitely not fast, but I am trying, and that is all that matters. Thanks for being so inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete