Thursday, May 21, 2015

She's Mighty Mighty And Just Lettin' It All Hang Out

We are in the midst of fun toddler times. For the past two nights the boys have really been fighting going down for bed. I know it's not because they aren't tired, C. almost fell asleep on the swing at the park. And A. almost fell asleep on the couch before dinner. This was because they didn't nap yesterday. Honestly, switching to toddler beds has been a nightmare. I know it's part of the boys growing up, but sweet mother of pearl, it has been a pain in my ass.

I had planned on running yesterday morning but we had a super long fight trying to get the boys to bed, then both of them were up at 3AM and A. was up again at 5AM. When my alarm went off at 6AM I said, "Yep, I know it's only a half hour more of sleep, but screw it." and went back to bed.

Thankfully they stayed asleep last night. I popped out of bed when my alarm went off and headed out on my merry way.

Dreaming Small mentioned this in a blog post and I agree with her:

"When I run, I don't feel fat."

It's so very, very true. Even when I get passed by faster, skinnier runners I don't think, "Man, I wish I could be small enough to run in those tiny shorts." I think, "Damn, that woman is fast. You go, lady!" and maybe I pick up my pace for a few strides just to feel a little more badass.  Sometimes I think my legs are too tired or how my lungs are burning, or even how awesome a song is. I get distracted by the sights around my neighborhood (Squirrel! Rabbit!) and by watching for cars.

When I am running I am a machine. I may be a bigger machine, but I am still a machine!

Which brings me to this:

I was listening to the radio this morning, our local sports talk station, 97.1 The Ticket, in case you are around here, a subject came up that bugged me. Now, I know I tend to listen to shows that are geared towards men, I can't help it, I just like to hear the sports stuff more than any updates on the stupid family that starts with a K or Miley Cyrus or whomever.

One of the male DJs started telling this story about the model, Tess Holliday, featured on the cover of the People Magazine Body Issue. Here is a link to People's pictures of her. The first thing he talked about was how in the 90's when the super skinny model look was popular everyone complained because it was super unhealthy and how negative it was, etc, etc. He continued to comment how he felt putting a woman this big (and from the way they described her you would've thought she was an enormous whale) on the cover of a Body Issue, was just as unhealthy as the super skinny models of the past. His belief was by showing a woman who was beautiful, even as a size 22, it was going to make people think being obese was good? I don't know what exactly he said, but either way, he was upset with her being on the cover of People.

There were jokes, of course. Another male DJ compared her to one of the Detroit Lions linebackers.

I sent in this text message:

I had to change the station, so I don't know if they read it on the air or not.

Fat shaming all around!

I realize that childhood obesity is pretty near epidemic standards. Kids are moving less and eating more crap. But the same people who hate Tess Holliday or Melissa McCarthy also howl at the moon when they see pictures of school lunches and blame Michele Obama when their kids are pissed about the crap served in the cafeteria.

Do you know what one of my clearest memories from childhood is? Reaching for a second helping of fish sticks and hearing my oldest brother say, "There's no such thing as a fat cheerleader, Meg."

Yep.

I have hated my body for years. In fact, I think the only time in the last twenty years or so where I didn't hate my body was when I was pregnant.

Good for you, Tess, and to People for putting her on the cover. You go on with your badass self. And maybe some kid who hit puberty and all of a sudden got hips and breasts and some lovely pudge around her tummy will look at a picture of you and think, "Yep, she's lovely. I'm lovely, too."

6 comments:

  1. I'm all for positive body image. I think it's important to have a focus on health, but not on size. People who are trying to be healthy, rock on! The only time that I have a problem with it when people are very large (or whatever size, honestly) aren't healthy. I don't know if that makes sense? I love seeing fellow Athena competitors at triathlons. Rock on! Or people of every shape and size swimming at my gym or walking/running in the park! GHo on with your bad stuff! But some of the "Healthy at every size" people do try to use it as somewhat of an excuse to be unhealthy. I'm trying to say this in a way that won't be offensive to anyone and I'm not sure that I'm doing it! Basically, I like that there seems to be a movement towards health regardless of your size. It's great for young girls to have role models of all sizes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you are saying. But the reality is, there are obese people out there. And why shouldn't there be nice clothes and sexy things and beauty type ideas attached with that? You know what else isn't healthy? Smoking. Yet, SO MANY people do it, skinny Hollywood type models, yet their bodies are on display and being called beautiful.

      Delete
    2. Totally with you! I think there should be awesome options available for people of all sizes! Life happens and just because someone is at a different place in their life journey doesn't mean that they can't feel pretty or love their body. Kind of like love your body on the journey, you know? I also think that smoking should be treated as the terrible habit it is. But I'm also of the thinking that there should be just as much stigma/issue with people who are teeny tiny in an unhealthy way. I think overall it should be a focus on health and that means being at a healthy weight and having a healthy cardiovascular system. I just hate when society glorifies anything totally unhealthy whether it's being too heavy, too thin, or poisoning your lungs!

      Delete
  2. I dream of the day when media personalities won't feel the need to automatically comment on a woman's size. I also dream of the day when it won't seem like such a big deal to have a larger woman on the cover of a popular magazine. Tess (and so many others like her) are great role models because they're ignoring everything society is telling them to feel about themselves--it's not about touting obesity or unhealthiness--it's about loving yourself the way you are, right now.

    P.S. I just started reading your blog earlier this week--pretty sure I haven't commented yet. Anyway. Hi!

    P.P.S. I have 2 toddlers (they're 2 and 3), and I seriously just want to put the 2yo back into a crib. He's driving me nuts lately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, sleep shouldn't be so hard!! Sorry for the "fun times".

    I don't really know if there's a difference between Healthy At Every Size and the fat acceptance movement. I really wish we could divorce health and size. Yes, being obese often comes with health risks, unhealthy behaviors, etc. And I don't imagine that there are very many healthy 500-pound people. Nor, however, do I believe that there are very many healthy models/supermodels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't disagree with you, but I don't exactly agree, either. I do agree with the person who says being healthy is what matters. How you look or the size you were is irrelevant...what do your labs say and what do you ABILITIES say? Is your cholesterol and blood pressure good? Great! Can you walk a mile every day without struggling? Awesome! I think those are the things that really tell the story.

    Your kids' antics always make me chuckle. I don't miss those days. ;)

    ReplyDelete