Monday, August 31, 2015

So Be True to Your School Now

This morning I took two tiny little hands in mine and walked the three or so blocks to preschool/daycare. We enrolled the boys for two days a week starting today. We have been beyond lucky to be able to have family take care of them at home but the boys are getting older and wilder and I don't want the grandparents to have to parent so much as spoil the crap out of them. The three days a week the boys won't be in school will be split up between my in-laws and my mom. And that's only if my husband isn't working, his schedule is pretty fluid.

I know it was harder for me to drop them off. They barely looked back at me after we gave good-bye kisses, etc. I held back tears until we were out the door and on our way home. Whew.

People used to tell me to enjoy every moment, that they wouldn't be small forever, that I would blink and they would be grown. It hasn't really been that way for me. Sometimes it feels like it's taken us five years to get to this 2.5 year mark. And sometimes it feel like five seconds ago I was getting up in the middle of the night to nurse a newborn.

It's been an emotional day. Normally I would survive something like that by emotionally eating but thankfully I have not today.

***
Before all the preschool drop-off stuff started, I made it through the weekend. My plan was a ten mile run at some point. I wasn't sure how the weather would be on Sunday, possible storms predicted, so I switched things around and ran on Saturday instead. Hubs and I take turns sleeping in so I got up with the Guys and took them with me.

The route was five miles to the park, let them play at the park for a half hour, then five miles home from the park. Halfway to the park A. was getting pissed he was still in the stroller so I did what every wise mom should do.

I stopped for fast food.
After Burger King hash browns for each of them we headed out. Thankfully, the hash browns go us to the park with no further problems. We had enough time for about forty minutes of playing so that made it even better.

Then we headed home. Both boys did great, in fact I gave them each pine cones (second running with kiddos tip: pick up random things from your route and let them play with them. Sticks, rocks, and pine cones are my guys' favorites!) and they happily played Mama and Baby pine cone for the rest of our trip. At the nine mile mark, A. decided he had ENOUGH. He cried to go home, cried to get out of the stroller, and just whined in general. I looked at my Garmin, looked at home many blocks we had left to get home and  headed home. They were SO GOOD for so much of the trip I couldn't force them to go much longer.

I got home at the 9.5 mile mark. Hubs was up and moving around so I unloaded the boys, pretty much chucked them at him, and said, "I need to run a half a mile more. You got this?" He had it, so I took off and ran around the block to get to the ten mile mark. Oh we runners are a strange and funny lot.
My pace was awful, 14:48 per mile average, but since I did a lot of starting and stopping, was pushing the double stroller, etc I am not mad at it. The weather was perfect pretty much until the last two or three miles, plenty of cloud cover and low humidity.
I figure if I can get through 10 miles with the boys, I can make it through the 13.1 on my own.

Hope you had a wonderful weekend. Now I am off to call my husband to make him call the school and check on the boys. If I do it, I think I might start crying.

14 comments:

  1. Aww what a very emotional day for sure! Hang in there! The first drop off is always the most jarring! :)

    Great job on that run! I love the hash brown and pine cone idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have come up with every possible plan to distract them during runs. I haven't tried electronics yet. I am hoping to be able to avoid that.

      Delete
  2. I'm amazed that they cooperated *mostly* on that run for as long as they did! And go you for pushing a stroller for 9.5 miles! Glad you made it through the first day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah they were great! I was super lucky!

      Delete
  3. They acted better than I would have if I had to be stuck in a stroller for that long :p Way to get the run done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first drop off is tough. Hugs to you! If you can push a stroller for 9.5 miles, you can totally kill 13.1 miles without one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were super happy to see us when we picked them up so that was good.

      Delete
  5. I love the ways you make your runs happen. 13.1 solo miles got nothing on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think of running with the stroller like practicing wearing a weight belt or something. ;)

      Delete
  6. Your pace was amazing as you are! You do so good on getting your runs in consistently! So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AW thanks! Eventually the humidity will break and make it that much easier, right?

      Delete
  7. wow, you make 10 miles sound duper easy :)
    great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm just glad I managed to get it done!

      Delete