Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Because the Night Belongs to Us

Yesterday, when given the choice between getting up early and running and staying in bed, I chose staying in bed. I regretted the decision and thought about it on and off all day. Hubs had to work late last night, but thought he might be home in time for the boys' bedtime. About an hour before that he sent me a message saying he wouldn't make bedtime but should be home before eight. I decided if he was home before eight it left me no excuse not to run.

And he was home by 7:30.

Sticking to my guns, I reluctantly got into my running gear and got ready for my first ever interval run. Well, maybe not first. I already do the run/walk method for all of my runs. This time, my training plan was this:

Easy one mile warm-up
Two miles intervals (intervals 1:1 which meant run fast for one minute, walk/slow jog for one minute)
Half a mile easy cool down

For my first mile I kept up my usual 45 second run, 30 second walk. Then I switched it to 1:1 and REALLY pushed myself for the next two miles.
The one minute of walking seemed too long to me, I've adjusted to just 30 seconds for the last few months so I would run slowly for 30 and walk for 30, then do my faster run for a minute. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
It was just around sunset when I left and I wore my headlamp knowing it would be full on dark by the time I finished. People out walking their dogs gave me funny looks, but hey, I would rather be visible and be able to see the ground in front of me.

My favorite thing to do while wearing my headlamp is shine it in the car windows of the assholes idiots stupid people who approach stop signs and then stop PAST the stop sign in the middle of the intersection without even glancing to their left or right. Oh what's that, you're supposed to STOP at a STOP SIGN? Who knew? I love the look of shock/deer in headlights look as they glance to their right and go "Oh shit, there's a person there I almost hit!" Yep, asshole, you did. Thank god one of us is paying attention.

Sorry, I will continue to rant and rave about this until it stops. People are dumb and it drives me NUTS when they fail to obey basic traffic laws in a damn subdivision. Stop before the stop sign. It's as easy as that. It makes me even more upset when I see these are all adult drivers, people my age and older who have been driving long enough to know better.

End rant.

All in all it was a good run. I've successfully completed two speed workouts this training cycle which is better than I did with my last half marathon. I am getting pumped!
Post run headlamp selfie for Anna

4 comments:

  1. Aww...love it you are so bright and shiny :) When I don't walk in the morning I fret all day about how I am going to get in...so much better to drag myself out and get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to still get it done after hubby got home! I loathe those late workouts, but sometimes they are necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT job!! And I love the headlamp selfie, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the speed work! Great headlamp - that will definitely keep you visible and safe.

    ReplyDelete