Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Another Postcard With Chimpanzees

I had my first post-half marathon run this morning. It was also my first morning run in a very long time. Funny thing, I turned my alarm off this morning and was going to say eff it to the run but then one of the Guys woke up and instead of laying in his room with him while he tried to sleep I figured we both might as well get up. I bundled him up and away we went. It was a great morning for a run, forty degrees with no wind. I was fine in pants and a long-sleeve tech shirt, in fact maybe a little too warm, but it was a short run so I was ok. And A. was fine bundled up in his winter coat, hat, with a blanket tucked around him and flashlight to entertain him.

Thirty minutes of running later, and my body was all, oh hey, I remember this, let's do this more.

You're right, body, let's do it!

And now I am in that awkward I'm Not Training For a Race Now What? time. I have a friend who is going to run the Chicago half marathon next fall for her first ever half. I'm planning on running it with her, so I'll register for that next week just to make sure I get in before it sells out. But, that race isn't until the end of September so what on earth do I do with myself until then?!?

I think getting out for a morning run is a good start. A treadmill isn't in our budget this winter, which will suck come inclement weather time. But, our local community center has a fitness center that lets you sign up month by month for only $30. I think I might sign up for a month of it come December just to have a place to run indoors if I need to. Their hours suck, not open early and closed by eight, but that will work in a pinch.

What about you? Any big plans for 2016?

6 comments:

  1. I still admire the shit out of you for being able to get up and run in the mornings! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there another place near you that offers an indoor track or gym equipment? Maybe a planet fitness or something? Your place is better than nothing though and sure beats having to buy a dreadmill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm running the Crescent City Classic 10K at the end of March... but no plans beyond that. The farthest I've run is about 3.25 miles, so I should probably start looking at training plans or something to work up to that 10K. I signed up for a gym last year for the same reason... if there's a Planet Fitness nearby, it's $10/mo, no contract, and they're open 24/7!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the exact same place you are! It feels weird not to be training for anything. I do have some smaller races coming up, so at least I have something. I use my treadmill all winter long, I hate the cold weather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you for getting out to run again! I still haven't managed to drag myself out of bed even though I've set the alarm early every day since getting back from vacation. Maybe I'll get to it this weekend! I'm also in between races. I'll run another half in the spring probably but the training for that won't start for a while. Even though I don't have a race on the radar, I think I might start a 10K training program just to keep busy and maybe work on my speed a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job reminding your body how much you enjoy running! :)

    I have nothing to train for, either. But so far I'm ok with that, lol! We shall see what the new year brings. :)

    ReplyDelete