Wednesday, November 18, 2015

I'm A Genie In A Bottle

Before I turned 30, all those years ago, OK, maybe not ALL those years ago, but enough years ago, I think I was around 28, I came up with a list of things I wanted to do before I turned the big 3-0. I honestly don't remember what they were, aside from a handful of them I actually accomplished.

During my30th year, some of these things didn't happen BEFORE I turned thirty, I ran a marathon
Sure I stopped running for almost two years after that, but I did it! And maybe someday I will do it again.

Got engaged
On a hiking vacation in Colorado

And jumped out of a plane:


I like to think that last picture I was laughing so much because I was alive!

I had other things on the list one, which has always floated around, was write a novel. It sounds dumb, but I've started what seems like at least a hundred novels. I have written short stories, which I try to go further with but every time I end up giving up, not even halfway through.  I think my problem has always been I've written what I like to call SERIOUS books, and honestly, I'm not a SERIOUS books kind of person. I like easy reading.

Have you heard of National Novel Writing Month? If you haven't, November is National Novel Writing month. The whole idea is from November 1-30 you need to write a novel with at least 50,000 words. That's it. Get to the 50,000 words and you're done!

I have attempted NaNoWriMo three separate times. I've never completed it.

Until yesterday. Yesterday I finished my novel with 50,605 words.

I finished writing a novel. And trust me, it's a really shitty novel. It's pretty much me going, what would I want to read? How about a story about a normal woman who falls in love with an actor and he loves her back and they all live happily after the end. There's some sorta sexy bits in it, although even those are edited since I do most of my writing on my down time at work and it is damn near impossible for me to write sexy things while working. Nope, not darn near, it IS impossible for me. At one point I just typed FINISH THIS LATER at the end of scene so I could add more details when I was at home.

It just means I need to go back and edit and add more and take shit out. It sounds dumb, but I don't want to describe things incorrectly and someday if I somehow magically self publish on Amazon or whatever, have some reader check it out and grumbled, "There is no donut shop like that in San Diego." You know what I mean.

It might have taken me a little longer than my 30th birthday, but I am living proof you're never too old to go after something you once thought was out of your reach.

p.s. If anyone wants to read a really shitty romance novel and help with constructive criticism let me know and I'll send you a terrible one!

7 comments:

  1. OH MEG! What an awesome amazing thing you did! (And the other stuff are spectacular too... jumping out of a plane! I could never, ever do that!)

    I'm not big on romance novels but I'd absolutely be honored to read your book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is incredible! What a huge accomplishment. And I would be happy to read your wonderful words :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing and yes, please, I want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love everything about this post. Your engagement pics are stunning!! And seriously it only took you 2/3 of November to write your novel this time...I would love to read it. I'll have to read at home in case those "finish this later" parts make me blush :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome! What a huge accomplishment! I'd love to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg, you jumped out of a plane?? You are crazy, girl!! I would love to read your book! That's so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cool! I would totally read your book :)

    ReplyDelete