Monday, November 9, 2015

Monroe Half Marathon Race Recap

My last half marathon of the year in pictures!

All pictures courtesy of the fantastic Stephanie who ran the race with me at my pace, kept me company, kept me going, made me laugh, pointed out historical sights, told me stories, showed me the funny signs (Top two signs: That's Not Clapping, It's Your Thighs Cheering You On and If Trump Can Run So Can You!), and whom I confused the hell out of with my Galloway running. Thank you from the bottom of my heart my friend!

And now the recap.
Race day was beautiful, sunny and cold enough to wear long sleeves but not so cold I felt like my fingers and toes would fall off. There was a nice size crowd of people at the start
but just like I assumed would happen, the crowd thinned out pretty quickly and Stephanie and I were at the back of the pack for the rest of the race. While it was a beautiful day and a beautiful course, as you will see, I honestly don't think I would have enjoyed myself as much without my running partner.
The first half of the race flew by. I felt pretty good but I could tell my legs weren't going to be happy with me for the second half. And they weren't.

Steph told me her plan was to keep me company and take pictures for me and she did such a wonderful job. When she sent me all of these pictures I swear to you I never would have thought they were taken with an iPhone while running. That woman has talent!
It was an out and back course with a couple of turns here and there. We ran along these train tracks for a while and then cut through neighborhoods. It was an open course, so traffic was coming through, but people drove slowly, police officers stopped cars at major intersections, and a lot of it was on slower streets so I was never really worried we were going to get run over.
 
Here are some lovely pictures of the neighborhoods. 


You can see the police officer at the intersection in the background
And a little bit of the cute downtown:
At that point I was a place where I kinda didn't want to run anymore. I kept at it, but just from looking at my Garmin I could tell we were dropping from a 12 minute per mile pace to over a 14 minute per mile pace. I would say not good, but you know what, who cares? Let's enjoy some more lovely scenery.

One of my favorite pictures from the race, going over the River Raisin ("It's the River Raisin not the Raisin River. It's a French thing"-Stephanie).
The swinging ponytail makes me look speedy!
And then we were back on the same stretch of road along the railroad tracks. We passed one last water station but they didn't have any cups. Just more incentive to get to the finish line, I suppose.

For the last bit, Stephanie ran ahead so she could get finish line photos of me. Seriously, just the best running partner!
Cool thing, instead of plastic water bottles at the finish everyone got a real water bottle full of water. Helping the environment and the runners all at the same time.

Did I get a PR? No. Was I even close? No. Did I run a good race? Not really, I slowed waaaay down for the second half. Did I have fun? ABSOLUTELY! Would I do it again? Sure thing, it was a lovely course, well run, and pretty. And hopefully next year my running won't be as sidelined by LIFE and I'll have a better time.

6 comments:

  1. You did it! PR sme-r. You had fun and that's the main thing. Glad you had a wonderful running partner as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad Stephanie was with you--sounds like she was just what you needed :) Glad you were able to have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you had fun! That's really the most important part - stellar attitude!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look wonderful! Whatevs with PRs, who cares when the course is that nice and the weather is that pretty? Proud of you as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this report because of what a great time you had. Hurray for your running partner - thanks for all the pics so we could see our Meg in all her awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doesn't having a running partner make such a difference? You did great! And as I learned from my marathon, where I was back of the pack too, who cares! What matters is you finished. :)

    ReplyDelete