Thursday, November 5, 2015

Oh Food Magical Food Wonderful Food

You are cordially invited to my...

Screw the Turkey Trot I Hate Crowds Virtual Thanksgiving Day 5K/10K

Yep.

If we are friends on Facebook and I didn't invite you, feel free to let me know and I will add you to the list. This is all very, very informal. The plan is to run or walk or bike or swim or elliptical (is that a verb?) a 5K or 10K or whatever kind of K you have in ya.

I have run the Detroit Turkey Trot for the last few years but let me tell you, the turkey trot is a cluster F-U-C-...well, you know where I am going with that. In 2012 there were 21,000 finishers between the 5K and the 10K. And oh yeah, if you are a slower 10Ker it is very likely you are going to get lapped by the speedy 5Kers and that sucks. Nothing like a crowd of scantily glad speeding gazelles coming at you at full speed to get the juices flowing. No joke, it's a bit like the wildebeest scene in The Lion King minus the conniving brother.

Plus, there's the time it takes to get downtown, to run the race, to get back home. We aren't doing dinner until later but it doesn't mean I want to spend half my day running a race I don't particularly like.

Which is why I came up with the above race.

Here is our motto:
And some details that don't really matter because this is super casual and you can really run it whenever you want:

Start time: 8:00AM EST (Which is when I will be running it because I don't want to get up super early) but you can run it whenever you want.

Run/walk/ride as far and as long as you want. And afterwards I'll come up with a fun post and we can all share our bad-ass post workout selfies. Oh yes, it doesn't count if you don't take a picture! Well, it counts, but how else will you brag to everyone that you are bad-ass and awesome and ran on Thanksgiving BRING ME THE MASHED POTATOES I EARNED THOSE PUPPIES without a picture?

7 comments:

  1. I am completely down with this! The turkey trot I normally do has gotten so crowded you have to walk the first 1/2 mile or so. Last year I jut ran 3.1 miles from my house and I'll probably do it again this year. I miss the tshirts though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha, that's awesome! V I will admit, as much as I enjoy being downtown for a race, you are absolutely right about the Turkey Trot being a cluster...! And an expensive one at that! We ran it in 2012, too, and it was a mess. :/

    Maybe I will do a drumstick double... 9.3 miles = more pie! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In in in in totally in! Because I have to start cooking early, I'll be trotting along probably around 5am. BRING ON THE PIE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so right - our local Turkey Trot is such an overcrowded disaster . . . I thought I was the only one who felt that way. Count me in!! I'll try to get an early start and then get that turkey in the oven!

    ReplyDelete