Thursday, January 14, 2016

I'll Be the Rock You Can Build On

I am sure I have mentioned on here multiple times about my love for Alan Rickman. When other girls were talking about the dreamy Robin Hood (Kevin Costner) in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, I was worried something was wrong with me, 'cause man, did I love the Sheriff.

Alan Rickman died today at the age of 69. I keep checking web pages thinking it might be a joke. Because he can't possibly be dead, right?

The loss of David Bowie hit me hard. This one, I don't know why, but this one just hurts so much. I actually cried when I read the article.

Alan Rickman memorably nearly whupped Bruce Willis' ass as Hans Gruber. Alan Rickman brought joy to a somewhat crappy Robin Hood movie. Alan Rickman loved Kate Winslet when she was flighty and thought herself in love with Mr. Willoughby. Alan Rickman made me snort laugh as Metatron. He broke my heart in Love Actually.

He embodied Professor Snape in such a way that me, as a woman who ALWAYS loves the book more than the movie thought, holy shit, he pulled his portrayal right out of my mind. Because he was the Snape I saw when I read the books before the movies even came out.

But, most importantly for me in particular, Alan Rickman helped forge a bond between a handful of women from all over the country. He was a common denominator when we joked about celebrity crushes. He was our group's spirit animal. Alan Rickman helped a gaggle of virtual strangers become friends.

That is why his death hits me so hard. I had this silly fantasy that someday I would meet him, somehow, maybe at a convention, and I would tell him how much he meant to our group, share that with him. I honestly think if he were at a convention the ladies in my Lovely Ladies Losing It group would have found a way to all meet there. We would have worn t-shirts with his face on it.

I think he would have gotten a kick out of that.

"After all this time?
"Always," said Snape.


RIP, Alan.

3 comments:

  1. Well said. I love that you too thought the Sheriff was hot, I totally did too. I too also deep in my heart hoped I could meet him one day and tell him he was our mascot. He'd probably politely nod and take a restraining order out on me, but it would have been fun just the same. I am just heartbroken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hugs to you. He will always be our imaginary friend.

    ReplyDelete