Thursday, January 21, 2016

Is It Written in the Stars? Are We Paying For Some Crime?

Somehow, between kids and work and other projects, my time for reading has nearly disappeared. I used to read before bed every single night. Now I find myself checking Instagram or Facebook. Not OK.

One of my problems is finding something that's actually worth reading. It seems all the contemporary romances, or what used to be called chick lit, are now sex books. I am not complaining about erotica here I have no problem with that...jeez, this conversation is taking a turn for the worse but bear with me. What I am complaining about is ALL contemporary romances are heading towards the erotic category. I looked up a list of romances on Goodreads, the top ones from 2015, and got a few of the books from the library. After reading one, found out within two chapters of the book the couple was banging and banging in quite a descriptive fashion. Again, I am no prude, but not what I expected from a romance novel! Plus, nowhere on the Goodreads list did it mention anything about super sexy books or anything like that. In my day and age we used to walk to school uphill both ways a romance novel was for example, a Nora Roberts book. Lots of romance, maybe some suspense/mystery, a bit of sex but no using words that cannot be said on t.v., Wow, I am starting to sound like a prude so I will stop.

I am a newbie Amazon Prime member and found the Kindle First early release books. I just downloaded The Oddfits by Tiffany Tsao. My goal is to read that book this week. You see, when I read I am less likely to eat. Whereas I find myself mindlessly snacking while watching t.v., I don't do that when I'm reading because I am so into a book.

I am always on the lookout for new books. Here are my requirements:

-Happy ending (and I'm not talking the sexual kind)
-No children dying
-Can't be set in the Holocaust or WWII or any sort of war where lots of people die
-Romantic
-No ghosts
-Cannot be written in the present tense (I make a few exceptions for this, but overall blergh. Present tense makes my brain hurt!)
-Did I mention romance?

Not so hard to find, right? HA! What this list does is eliminate pretty much every popular book right now. No Gone Girl or The Book Thief or Girl on a Train or The Goldfinch or any book like that.

You know what author I really liked who hasn't written anything in a while? Jennifer Cruise. Her books are fun, funny, light-hearted, romantic, etc. I just looked and she hasn't published anything since 2010. No! Write some more, please! I enjoy Nora Roberts stuff although lately they have been a bit predictable. And in writing this post I just saw she had a new trilogy out so I'll request that one from the library thank you very much.

Do you have any authors you love that you can share with me? I am going to be a reading machine this year!

5 comments:

  1. Erm, Outlander books? I think you mentioned you've read them but that's the only thing I can think that meets your criteria. :) I read a lot of suspense too (Clive Cussler, Stephen King). Sorry I'm not a lot of help here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW, I'm on book 5. I'm trying to get all caught up on these, then finish the John Grey ones and THEN I can get back to my normal reading habits. I'm sucked in with Diana Gabaldon though. We're committed. haha

      Delete
  2. Anything by Jen Lancaster is hilarious. It's not romance, but they are GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss Jennifer Crusie too. I loved her old stuff. I don't love books that include gratuitous cute children to move the story along, which is weird because I do like kids (I promise!) but it almost always feels like a cop out and irks me in a romance novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read a lot of romance, but when I do, Rachel Gibson is my go-to author! Her books are pretty much exactly what you described. A little sex, but not raunchy, and they're good, easy reads. Also, I don't recall anyone dying so far.

    ReplyDelete