Monday, February 1, 2016

I'm Young, Scrappy, and Hungry and I'm Not Throwing Away My Shot

First and foremost, oral surgery went off without a hitch. In fact, it was less invasive than my surgeon thought it would be so yay for that.

Funny thing, I have never been under twilight anesthesia before so I didn't know what to expect. I was nervous going in to my appointment so I ended up joking with the dental assistant and the surgeon about my veins. I am on of those lucky people who was born with surface veins so giving blood and getting IVs is usually an easy process for me. Right after the IV went in I remember saying, "Am I supposed to feel light-headed?" then nothing until I was home.

My husband filled me in on the missing bits. I went under thinking about my awesome veins and came out of anesthesia talking about my veins. Repeatedly. I made the dental assistant tell my husband about my awesome veins. I had her compare our veins. (FYI, she told my husband my veins are better than his). I made the surgeon tell my husband about my veins. I sent my sister a text message about my veins.

I remember none of that.

At least I didn't cry. Or hit on the surgeon, both very real fears of mine.

The pain was manageable with just ibuprofen by Saturday. All weekend long we had perfect running weather so I finally decided to go for a run. I asked my surgeon prior to surgery on Friday if I could run over the weekend and he said it was a judgement call but to not overdo it.

I took my time, switched to 30:30 for walk/run intervals instead of my usual 45:30. I felt great the entire time. In fact, after my first mile I knew I could move faster so I did.
My mouth didn't hurt. The only pain I felt afterward was the good kind of worked out pain in my legs. Which I miss!

If the weather holds up with its unseasonable warmness I will go for another run tonight.

On the book front, I have reviews...from people I don't know. People I don't know are reading my book and commenting on it. Not sure how I feel about that...

7 comments:

  1. Glad you got to get out and enjoy the weather :) Wow! That must be a crazy feeling to have people you don't know review you...but the reviews look fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad the surgery went well and that you had a great run (with warm-ish weather!) And yay to reviews! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you are hard core...running 5 miles after oral surgery!!

    I started your book and am eagerly looking forward to finding time to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, I'm glad your surgery went well. When I had my wisdom teeth removed, I just had the laughing gas... it was my first time under any sort of anesthesia. When I was lucid, the dental assistant commented that she could tell I definitely had never done drugs before (I didn't think to ask what she meant by that, but I assume I was just super goofy or something) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I went under for dental work, I had the weirdest out of body thing afterwards where I cried if you looked at me but was fine so long as no one was looking at me. It was like I was watching from outside myself wondering WTF I was doing?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad your surgery went well. I have never heard of twilight anesthesia. I will have to look into that for when I go to the dentist next and need some work done. I hate going to the dentist and I do not take pain very well. Hope my veins are as good.

    Sylvester Mckenzie @ Cody Dental

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you did much better than me when I had my oral surgery! I am the kind of person who giggles and laughs a lot when I am nervous and have anxiety, so instead of talking about my veins (which by the way, yours sound better than mine!) I end up driving everyone crazy because I won't stop laughing.

    Rickie Marroquin @ Western Dental – Casa Grande

    ReplyDelete