Thursday, March 10, 2016

And If This Child, Shares a Fraction of Your Smile

I had one of those evenings last night where I turned into the Incredible Hulk and raged at my kids. They had a fantastic day with their grandparents but by the time I got home from work, got them fed, I was left with two overtired little boys.

I thought a bath would settle them down but somehow in the three seconds I was away from the bathroom they managed to empty the bathtub onto the bathroom floor.

I yelled. I'm not proud of it. At the time, a little part in the back of my mind was all, "ok, clearly this isn't helping" but parents can be overtired, too. Tried to get them to settle down for bed to no avail. I ended up just putting them in their room, removing everything they could play with, and leaving them hoping they would fall asleep.

My husband came home from hockey shortly after that and between the two of us we got them to fall asleep.

On nights like those, where I am exhausted mentally and physically, it is so easy to mindlessly snack. By the time the boys fell asleep I was well past hangry. I had soup and salad with grilled shrimp Hubs brought home for me, which was delicious.

I should have run. I had three miles planned, was going to leave as soon as my husband got home, but being the Incredible Hulk takes a lot out of me. Instead I used the stair stepper for a half hour and called it a day.

I posted a cute picture of my boys on Instagram to remind myself that even when I yell, even when I think I am a crappy parent, I still love them with everything I've got and hope they still love me, too.

4 comments:

  1. Aww sorry it was a tough mommy day. Those days are bound to happen. You made the best of a bad situation and you still managed to make a healthy choice! Great job, mom! It's a tough job for sure. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're only human. And that is 100% okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think one of the most useful lessons children can learn is that no one is perfect. They need to know how to deal with not being perfect themselves (i.e. how to apologize) and how to deal with the imperfections of others (forgiveness and grace). I have no doubt about your love for those munchkins and I see their love for you in the pictures. Hang in there, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. None of us are perfect parents. Anna is absolutely right - even our bad moments teach things, or at least that's what I tell myself.

    ReplyDelete