Tuesday, March 1, 2016

It Takes a Leap of Faith to Get Things Going

For the last two years I had a yearly goal to run a race a month, usually a 5K with the occasional half marathon thrown in there for good measure.

I didn't do that this year, I've had a lot on my plate and trying to figure out where I can run in January when I really, really don't want to run got old.

I had my first race of the year last night. I had my eye on it but here in Michigan you never know what the weather will be like so I held off until the last minute and registered Friday. The race was a Leap Year Four Miler in New Hudson at a Metropark.

 I think because the 29th fell on a Monday this year the racing company set this up as an evening run. Start time was 6:30PM. Unfortunately, there weren't enough port-a-johns so the director delayed the start for ten minutes to try to get people who had been in line for a half hour (I waited twenty minutes) a chance to get to the starting line.

I don't know if it was the standing around for forty minutes in the brisk wind or running on Saturday and Sunday, but my legs were not happy with me for the first two miles. Halfway through the second mile I had to stop and stretch out my calves because the muscles felt like they were made of stone. I think they warmed up enough after that that I was able to buckle down and haul ass for the last two miles.

The last half mile was straight into the wind. For the most part, the rest of the course was sheltered from it with the occasional open windy spot. Man, running into that wind sucked. In fact, I had to take a walk break a little early because I couldn't catch my breath with the wind blowing straight into my face. I would also like to take a second to apologize to the people around me. There were a couple of times where I dropped F-bombs. "You've got to be effing kidding me!" Trust me, the wind sucked.

It was a fun run plus we got glow in the dark medals and a super comfy sweatshirt. I had to book it to trivia right from the race (you're welcome teammates. Thank goodness for deodorant and body spray!) where we ended up getting first place. Woo-hoo!

Now I am twenty days out from my first half marathon of the year. Training for that one has been rough, while the winter has been mild it seems all of my weekday runs have been jacked up because of ice or snow.

Is it really March already? It feels like February flew by. I am going to buckle down and focus on my running this month. Three days a week, minimum! I've got this!

4 comments:

  1. Glow in the dark medals have to make it all worth it. Congrats on your trivia dominance :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a tough run but you did what... 3 runs in a row! That's pretty fracking awesome if you ask me! Glow in the Dark Medals and sweatshirts make it worth your while (Like Anna said) And you guys kicked so much booty with the trivia night! What fun! I'd love to do that one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glow in the dark medals and a sweatshirt? Nice swag! Great job picking it up to finish despite all that wind!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bwahaha!! I think I dropped those same F bombs, but mine were a bit more under my breath. Honestly, I'd be surprised at the people who DIDN'T curse that wind!! ;)

    Great job! Sorry I missed seeing you cross the finish line!!

    ReplyDelete